Geezer's custom disk brake rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geezer's custom disk brake rotors

The rotor project has bee going on quietly behind the scenes and now I have something new to report and a favor to ask.

Once again here's the preliminary design.
    http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/omp_rotor.jpg

The final design will have 11 buttons joining the hub to the outer ring rather than the 9 pictured. So far the going price will be $80 out of Taiwan. I can get about 400 disks in a shipping container that cost $500 by sea to get to Portland, OR where I will then ship them by FedEx ground to the buyers.

One thing I still have to work out is import duties but I will be contacting the FTC and see if they can give me the numbers up front. The last time I imported a couple grand in electrical connectors the taxes were only like 80 bucks. Sorry I don't remember the exact numbers here but I think it will likely be less than 2 bucks per disk.

Now the favor I need. I know for certain that the Yamaha 650 twin takes the same rotor as the XS11 and I think the SR500 and the 750 Virago did too. What I need to know is how many other Yamahas take the same disks. I've heard that FJ1100 and 1200 rotors will fit the XS11, if you've done it, I really need to know.

I'm thinking if I get all my ducks in a row here, I can have these disks out the door for $90 to $95 plus shipping and I'm working on a reshipper to get around Canadian import duties. I'm not looking to make anything on this project, but rather I'm doing it as a group purchase and only charging enough not to loose money on the deal.

Anything you have to input would be welcome...

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

looks good

now what is the cost for the R1 caliper adapter? because I would have to go all the way and do the full upgrade
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Offsets

Looked at FJ1100 in my shed, it has no offset from hub to rotor.

Comment

Hey looks good.IIRC my 79 RD 400 had same(right side front and rear).No left rotor.My guess is that crowd would be interested as well.
        Terry
        1980 special (Phyllis)
        1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Thanx guys, with a few more and it will be likely that these disks will be made...

Geezer

Comment

I think the XJ 650/750 maxim is also the same size - and of course the XJ 1100 maxim is the same as well.

XJ 650 brake disc part number - 1J3-25831-00-00
            XJ 750 brake disc part number - 5G9-25831-00-00.
            81 XS1100 brake disc part number - 3H5-25831-10-00

I will be interested in buying a set of those discs as well, thx

Comment

me too

Methinks Thunderpig needs new shoes. So will the project bike.

So is the pricing per shoe or per set?
              Lee aka trainzz

I am my inner child!!

I have no idea how you managed to make that connection within your brain, but I applaud whatever cellular mutation just took place.

1980 XS11 Special-"Thunder Pig"
              1980 XS11 Special-"Crazy Trainz" (project bike)
              1979 Xs1100 Standard ( parts,parts,parts)

Comment

Thanx for the info. I'm going to take one of my spare XS11 disks over to the local salvage place and see if I can get some more info on what it'll mach up to.

The base price on the disks is $80 each plus shipping and import tax. If I can get enough orders, this will be about another 2 to 5 bucks a disk. Once they're here, I can ship them to anywhere in the USA in a large flat rate priority mail box and that's about 15 (actually less but I don't remember the exact price off the top of my head.)

Over the next couple weeks I will be trying to contact the forums for the other Yamahas that take the same disk. I also have a couple retailers that I sell my electrical stuff to that I'm hoping will order a few. The target is 200 disks.

Tony

Comment

I would buy a set of these if they fit the xj 1100

Comment

Originally posted by OpFlash View Post
                    I would buy a set of these if they fit the xj 1100
                    They'll fit the XJ1100 too.

Larry
                    Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                    82 XJ1100
                    80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                    64 Yamaha YA-6
                    77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                    See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

In an old EBC Brakes catalogue they state that their MD2024 rotors fit the following bikes.

XS 500 C/D 78-79 298
                      XS 650 SE 79-
                      XV 750 SE 81
                      XS 850 80
                      XS 1100 78-80
                      XS 1100 S 81
                      Brian
                      XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
                      Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Thanx guys. I'll have an update on the quad piston calipers within a week about 2 weeks for more info on the rotors.

Geezer

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
                          The rotor project has bee going on quietly behind the scenes and now I have something new to report and a favor to ask.

Once again here's the preliminary design.
                          http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/omp_rotor.jpg

The final design will have 11 buttons joining the hub to the outer ring rather than the 9 pictured. So far the going price will be $80 out of Taiwan. I can get about 400 disks in a shipping container that cost $500 by sea to get to Portland, OR where I will then ship them by FedEx ground to the buyers.

One thing I still have to work out is import duties but I will be contacting the FTC and see if they can give me the numbers up front. The last time I imported a couple grand in electrical connectors the taxes were only like 80 bucks. Sorry I don't remember the exact numbers here but I think it will likely be less than 2 bucks per disk.

Now the favor I need. I know for certain that the Yamaha 650 twin takes the same rotor as the XS11 and I think the SR500 and the 750 Virago did too. What I need to know is how many other Yamahas take the same disks. I've heard that FJ1100 and 1200 rotors will fit the XS11, if you've done it, I really need to know.

I'm thinking if I get all my ducks in a row here, I can have these disks out the door for $90 to $95 plus shipping and I'm working on a reshipper to get around Canadian import duties. I'm not looking to make anything on this project, but rather I'm doing it as a group purchase and only charging enough not to loose money on the deal.

Anything you have to input would be welcome...

Geezer
                          Hello.
                          Are they available yet?
                          Please contact rickcleansoul@hotmail.com
                          Thank you.

Comment

Not Sure....

....if they were ever available, or You would've seen them around the Site, as the thread is over 3 Years Old

So with that said, here's the link to Geezers Site: http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/

A wealth of great info on there by the way
                            1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                            1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                            1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                            1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                            1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Tony (geezer) gave up on offering custom brake parts as the legal liability and it's attending costs was too big to hack. So no, these never were available. There are aftermarket rotors out there that can be fitted to the XS11 with some work (look here: http://www.650central.com/) but the costs will take your breath away....
                              Last edited by crazy steve; 12-02-2012, 01:05 PM.
                              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                              '82 XJ rebuild project
                              '80SG restified, red SOLD
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                              X