aftermarket blinkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aftermarket blinkers

I cannot seem to find the post about blinkers. What do I need to install to get my aftermarket blinkers to blink?
    1979 Standard F, At least I think it is.

After Market Flasher

I replaced my flasher with one from autozone. Our bikes use a three prong flasher because it has a self canceling unit working off one of the poles. If you want to replace it with one at autozone like I did, you lose the self cancel feature. The only flasher they had that works is a two pole unit, if your lucky like me, the guy at the stor let me try every single one before I found the one I needed... If I remember correctly, looking at the poles on the aftermarket one, it had the horizontal (on top) and a vertical pole to the right (?) below the horizontal one. Just match up the number (volts ect) as close as you can and see if they will let you try it b4 you buy... Good luck!
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Hey, I'm about to embark on the same mission, so if you find the part number let me know. FYI none of the three pole flashers at autozone will work, I already tried all of the three or four they stock.....
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

Blinkers

You might try a load equalizer ..Some of the blinkers nowadays dont have enough of a load to run the relay...We used to put these on customs to get them to work...Just a suggestion Stevo

Comment

Yep, as Stevo put it, the stock flasher needs the draw of the stock bulbs in order to flash. You either have to induce the load as Stevo suggested, or get an aftermarket flasher and lose the self cancelling feature.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

I will check the exact part number of the flasher when I get home if that will help anyone.
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

The blinking truth

Originally posted by drooker56 View Post
              I cannot seem to find the post about blinkers. What do I need to install to get my aftermarket blinkers to blink?
              Hi Don,
              your aftermarket blinkers don't blink because they don't draw the 54Watts total power the stock blinker needs to make it work.
              What to do, what to do?
              Check the aftermarket bulbs' total Wattage. Betcha it's 2 x 22 = 44W. You need 54W.
              Option1) Put a 10W bulb in parallel with the blinkers each side to load the stock blinker to 54W then it will blink and the self-canceller will work.
              Option 2) Put in any 2-pin electronic blinker. They plug into the 3-way socket either of 2 ways. One way works, one way don't. The electronic blinker has the same blink rate no matter what the load is but kiss the self-cancelling feature goodbye.
              I have never gotten a 3-pin automotive blinker to work on my bikes no matter how I connected it. It seems their innards are wired all different.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                ...The only flasher they had that works is a two pole unit...
                FYI, the three wire flashers will work but you have to swap two of the wires in the plug. You still lose the self-cancel though. I went through this when I hooked a trailer to mine; it was a PITA to get it all to work. I used one of those electro-mechanical flashers that flash anything from one lamp on up...

'78E original owner
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                  FYI, the three wire flashers will work but you have to swap two of the wires in the plug. You still lose the self-cancel though. I went through this when I hooked a trailer to mine; it was a PITA to get it all to work. I used one of those electro-mechanical flashers that flash anything from one lamp on up...

'78E original owner
                  I was woundering if they (3pole) would have worked by just swapping the two horizontal poles in the plug... Sounds like too much work to me to acheive the same outsome... working flashers and no self cancel...
                  '79 XS11 F
                  Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                  Stock, no title.

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                    I was woundering if they (3pole) would have worked by just swapping the two horizontal poles in the plug... Sounds like too much work to me to acheive the same outsome... working flashers and no self cancel...
                    I'm trying to figure out just how the original worked with the auto cancel, as if we can figure it out maybe we can figure out a simple adapter to give the electronic flasher and still retain the auto cancel.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I've just been playing with my bike and this is what I found.... maybe someone can verify.

The Brown/white wire runs to the blinkers, via the blinker switch, thats the "center" pole of the blinker it flashes on/off when the blinker is on and is dead when its off.

The Tan wire is hot from the fuse box.

The Green/Yellow wire runs to the canceler box. As far as I can tell it blinks along with the lights when the blinker is running. If you ground it with the blinkers on they turn on solid. If you put it to 12v hot with the blinkers on they stop blinking.

I suspect that the canceler counts blinks from the flasher on green/yellow wire and after some number of "flashes" or some distance measured by the speedo reed switch it puts 12v to the green/yellow wire which stops the flasher from blinking.
                      However I can't really test this, my dad borrowed my battery charger so I can't let it sit and blink till it cancels and my speedo is broken so I can't let it count the distance either. Maybe someone else can hook up a meter and verify that the canceler switches the green/yellow to +12v to stop the relay?

This would explain why the automotive 3 wire flashers don't work, they expect one of the two side poles to be a ground and the canceler doesn't ground it's pole, and the lights are on the other side pole.

Tomorrow I'm going to go to NAPA and see what they have and try to match something up based on my current understanding. If I find something I'll let everyone know.
                      1979 xs1100 Special -
                      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                      My Bike:
                      [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
                      X