Are E and SF carbs the same???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are E and SF carbs the same???

As it says, I need to know if they are the same. Carb numbers, size, etc.
    I have a good running SF and a project E. It will be a while before I need carbs for the E and I need to rejet the SF, so I am curious if they are the same carbs so that I can rebuild and up the jet size in the E carbs and just r & r the carbs on the SF.
    Hope this makes sense. LOL
    '96 Kawasaki ZX11, bought February 5, 2015

'79 Kawasaki LTD 1000, bought Oct 19,2010.....sold Sept 12, 2013

'81 XS11 Special, bought May 6, 2010.....sold Oct 19,2010

'79 XS 11 Special, bought July 3rd, 2008

'78 XS11 Standard, bought July 2, 2009.....sold Aug 25, 2011

The 78/79 carbs are the same, and the 80/81 are the same. Jetting on the 80/81's was different depending on year, but between an 'E' and an 'SF' it's the same.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Cool. I know it's not quite the same as one of my old muscle cars as far as 'matching numbers', but I'd like to keep the SF as close to original as I can. Everything I've changed from original I still have and can put back on in an afternoon.

Now, I've read that the E was the most powerful of this bikes. Does that translate to different stock jet sizes?

Comment

The stock jets are bigger than the 80/81's (137.5 mains on the early ones, anywhere from 110 to 125 on the later models), but the 78 and 79's also had a higher compression ratio than the 80/81's. 9:1 on the 80/81 and 9.2:1 on the 78/79's. The later models also had bigger jets on 2 & 3, and I've heard conflicting reports on why. Some say it's for cooling as the fatter jets make the inner cylinders run closer to the same temp as the outers. I've also heard it was done for emission requirements, which I think is more likely - or maybe a little of both. The 80/81's have bigger valves than the 78/79's but the earlier models have more lift and duration on the cams. I've heard that the hot ticket is the later model heads with the earlier model cams. I haven't gotten around to that mod yet, but as soon as I get an 80/81 head I plan to.
        Last edited by dbeardslee; 08-10-2009, 03:27 PM.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Doug has it correct as I know it about the cams being hotter on the 78 than any other year.

The cause of the jets being larger on the 78-79 carbs was a change in how they feed the pilot jets. on the 78-79 (and some early 80 model) carbs, there is a tunnel from the main jet or emulsion tube section to the inlet side of the pilot jet so that the pilot jet gets its fuel after it has passed through the main jet. They also have a screw or rubber plug over the pilot jet opening as no fuel passes through there.

On the later model carbs, the pilot jet is fed straight form the bowl and does not need the larger main jets, thus the reason for smaller mains stock on the newer carbs.

So, yeah they are interchangable all the way from 78 to 81 and even the XJ carbs can work but the choke is a bit different mechanism IIRC. Just remember to jet your carbs based upon the year they were made and not on the year the bike was made as to stock or starting point.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Good info....the SF runs well now and I have read so many horror stories about dialing in the carbs that I thought it would be a good idea to build a 'spare' set so that if something goes wrong, I can throw on the originals and not be stuck without a ride.

Comment

Mr. Schweer,

Wildkat sent this chart to me the other day when I had a carb question...

Maybe it'll help you as well w/ your questions...
              Bob

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73
              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

"I have read so many horror stories about dialing in the carbs"

Not if you did your research first, and know what you are trying to accomplish. The carbs are the same thing, over and over and over over again!
                Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

i thought the cams from the 79 were the same as the 78. the only true difference was supposed to be the ignition advancer. one is a little more advanced than the other.
                  " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                  xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                  8mm msd wires
                  tkat fork brace...
                  Fox shocks...
                  mikes650 front fender
                  led's gallore...
                  renthal bars
                  gold valve emulators
                  vmax tensioner
                  Rifle fairing

Comment

I think I remember someone mentioning that the emulsion tubes in the SF were different than the E and F. If I recall correctly, E and F tubes had 16 holes and SF had 14 for the inner two carbs and 16 on the outer two.
                    1980 XS 1100 Standard
                    1980 XS 1100 Special
                    1982 XJ 1100
                    1972 Honda CB 350

Comment

Ive read here that some '79 carbs were older style and some were newer style.
                      I have not seen it personally, but you may want to check to see if you change over.Although it shouldnt matter as long as you dont mix the parts between the two types.
                      80 SG XS1100
                      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

i thought the cams from the 79 were the same as the 78.
                        They are. The fiche verifies it - same part numbers for 78 and 79. Speaking of which, the yamaha parts fiche can answer a lot of these questions - just takes a little digging. Also, the exploded parts diagrams come in handy if you disassemble a part and then forget how to put it back together.
                        Last edited by dbeardslee; 08-11-2009, 09:58 AM.

Comment

This is an uninformed question I'm sure, but if the carbs are jetted according to this chart

Year &
                          Model Main
                          Jet Pilot
                          Jet Start
                          Jet Main
                          Air Pilot
                          Air Throttle
                          Valve Carburetor
                          1978 E 137.5 45.0 40 140 180 135 Mikuni BS34-II

1979 F/SF 137.5 42.5 32.5 140 180 135 Mikuni BS34-II

If I just clean and slap a gasket kit in the E carbs, will the larger pilot jets be enough for what I need?? All else being correct that is.

Comment

Before I put the pods on Betsy ('79F), with a 4/1, drilled airbox, and a high flow filter, the jetting that was working for me was 145 mains with 45 pilots. You can get them at mikes xs - $6 a pair. You don't have to mess with the air jets. You will need to adjust the carbs and sync them. With your setup if you don't bump the mains on the 'E' carbs you're probably going to be running lean.
                            Last edited by dbeardslee; 08-11-2009, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X