Struggling with clutch and gears, idling problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling with clutch and gears, idling problem

Hi all. Thanks for the help with my spark problem got that resolved. But now i still cant ride. When i start the bike and try to put it in gear it makes a huge gear scratch then when i release the clutch it makes a huge noise and the motor cuts out. I dissasembled the shaft the crown and pinion gear on both sides seem fine but the noise came from the front part of the shaft. I am completely lost on this one has anyone perhaps had or seem something similar. Then last part of my thread my bike starts fine and then suddenly the idling goes up to 4000rpm. And drops down to 2000rpm then back up to 4000rpm. I dissasembled the carbs and cleaned all the jets out. Any advice on that one. Thanks again for the help

Part A I am guessing may be the middle drive locked up? Can you put the bike in gear and crank it with the starter to see if it moves the bike or does the starter just hum or not turn at all?

As to the idle issue, sound slike a vacuum leak to me. The trick most recommended to find that would be to have the bike idle and put an unlitpropane torch around the intakes and the butterfly valve seal areas of the carbs. If idle jumps up, there is the leak. HTH
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Thanx for the reply. No the bike jumps if i put it in gear and hit the starter button. But also it is a huge struggle to get it into neutral as well. As for the carb issue thanx for that will go and check if i can find that leak

Comment

Hey ElevenSpecial,

I was able to check your PROFILE and see your year/model 80SG, but it would be good to put it in a SIGNATURE so that whenever you post, we can see it without having to look into your profile, and will assist us in assisting you, tips are often year/model specific!

The gear grinding when putting in gear sounds like the clutch isn't adjusted properly at the ENGINE, and isn't disengaging completely. The tranny is clunky, and a modest crunch is normal, but not excessive grinding. Look in the TECH TIPS, you'll find one for the clutch adjustment.

Are you trying to actually ride/drive/move it when you are releasing the clutch lever, or just on the center stand to see if the wheel will turn/spin? If you can roll the bike around in neutral then the middle gear is probably ok.

The carb issue has already been addressed!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
        X