R1 quad piston caliper conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1 quad piston caliper conversion

I've been working on installing a kit for these on my bike and it has been more than a pain than it should. The company that made the kit got the spacers all wrong and I'm having fits trying to get it all to work

My solution, I've redesigned mounts so that no spacers are required. The down side is there is only about 2mm clearance between the calipers and the wheel spokes but I figure if the spokes are flexing 1mm, then there's more problems here than the caliper hitting the wheel...

Anyway if I have these produced, would there be any others here interested in killer good brakes? The upside of this is that pads and seals will still be as close as your local Yamaha dealer rather than using some odd ball caliper.

I don't know the price yet but I'm ball parking the brackets around $95 and you will have to find the calipers used.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

I would like to see. Any pictures?

Thanks
    Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
    Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
    Pod Filters
    DynoJet Kit
    T.C.'s Fuse Block
    Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
    Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
    V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

At the top of a slippery slope?

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
      - - - - if I have these produced, would there be any others here interested in killer good brakes? - - - -
      Hi Geezer,
      kudos for the brake upgrade and for fixing it's problems.
      But won't the new killer brakes make the frailty of the stock forks more obvious?
      Will there be a big fat inverted fork upgrade to follow? Will those upgrades ever end?
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The stock XS11 fork are fine if you put on a good quality fork brace. Since those are already available, I'm not interested in making them.

I don't think there's any harm in a few upgrades to old bike. Some what them to go faster but I like them to stop better. Taste great, less filling...

Geezer

Comment

Originally posted by MrOzz View Post
          I would like to see. Any pictures?
          I'll take some soon. The brackets I bought will look the same as the ones I've designed from the outside. The inside toward the wheel side will have a step machined into it. Not much of a redesign but it's the only change that was needed.

If there's no demand for them, I'll just fix these and use'em.

Geezer

Comment

depends on the price, but yes I am interested.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I'll update the thread when I have a price.

Geezer

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                Hi Geezer,
                kudos for the brake upgrade and for fixing it's problems.
                But won't the new killer brakes make the frailty of the stock forks more obvious?
                Will there be a big fat inverted fork upgrade to follow? Will those upgrades ever end?
                Please don't be discouraged by non believers and improvement skeptics.I believe and I'm interestedI like go fast and stop fast mods.
                Terry
                1980 special (Phyllis)
                1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

I wonder ....

good quality fork brace. Since those are already available, I'm not interested
                  if there other known fork braces beside the type that bolts to the fork leg where the fender does and wraps over the top of the fender.

Not sure that Tkat is still active in the fork brace business as I have emailed several times in the last three weeks without response at all. Maybe you might reconsider buildin' some of your own, sir??
                  80G Mini-bagger
                  VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                  79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                  79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                  79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                  79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Tkat's still around, I e-mailed him in the middle of june and he sent me prices and shipping info, said he had several braces ready to go to good homes. I think its been mentioned that he travels a bit and thats the reason for the spoty responses via e-mail. Hang tight and I'm sure he'll get back to you.
                    1979 xs1100 Special -
                    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                    My Bike:
                    [link is broken]

Comment

Your mod has been done more than once over here in Europe. These calipers will work well with the stock discs. If the standard fork is well maintained it will be up to the job, no problem. Don't worry about the clearance with the spokes on your stock wheels, one mm is already enough. If these wheels flex, it will be in the front-rear direction and not sideways. Don't know about wire spoke wheels though
                      XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
                      MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
                      Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
                      Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
                      Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
                      Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Working...
                      X