Cam chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam chain?

I am looking for some advice/input/whats normal etc..
    My 81sh (bought at about 11 thousand miles after sitting several years) has always made some noise on the top end of the motor.
    It has about 21 thousand on it now, and the noise is pretty consistent.
    Wish I could describe the noise better but am fairly sure it is a chain type noise.
    Also pretty sure it isnt valve related cuz no ticking or tapping at any rpm (besides Phantom pre-ignition)
    I guess my question(s) are;

1. What is a normal amount of cam chain noise? Or should there be none?

2. Is it possible the chain is stretched that far in 20K miles that the tensioner cant take up slack?

3. Would I benefit from trying to adjust cam chain tensioner while motor (chain) is hot? And maybe hold tension against the crank to give as much slack to adjuster as possible?

4. Is it possible the adjuster is stuck some how? I cant beleive a chain could stretch that bad in 20k.

Open to ideas and look forward to any and all solutions.
    Thanks all
    '81 sh " Maime" The Nature of The Beast

Certainly is worth adjusting it. Look in the tech tips under maintenance, engine for the procedure.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Hey Schpiff,

20K, that's barely broken in! Your cam chain shouldn't have stretched much with that little wear, but it also depends on how the engine was run!?

I've got an 81SH, put on about 50K miles before the tranny died, let it sit for 9 years, then resurrected it, did a top end job, big bore kit, basic valve lapping, and put it all back together, and didn't put on a new chain....didn't have XS11.com at the time, nor knew about how to do it without splitting cases. My tensioner still works and takes up enough slack. Yeah, doing it warm might be helpful, but then you have to deal with HOT PIPES!

Also, IF you follow the technique/guide properly, it'll have all the slack at the tensioner it needs to take up/adjust out! Just do NOT take the tensioner all the way off without taking the valve cover off and taking the resultant slack in the cam chain, otherwise it can skip a tooth around the crank and can lead to valve damage!

These machines are a bit noisy on the top, so after you do the cam chain adjustment, if you still hear some noise, then what you have is probably normal!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Are the small discs of rubber still in between the fins of the jugs. They help deaden sound.
        1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
        1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
        1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
        1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
        1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Take the adjuster off

No matter how good your chain is you will still hear it when riding. But, the noise should be constant and not something that sounds like metal scraping against metal or squealing. And, even if everything on the top end is within tolerance you will still get some cam/ valve/ spring noise. Alot of moving parts up there and the cover can amplify it.

As far as cam adjustment, take the adjuster off and verify it is working right and that there is no evidence of the plunger pushing back into the body. A new gasket is simple to make. This can happen if you do alot of agressive riding and slap the throttle shut alot. The chain will whip ever so slightly on the slack side where the adjuster is. Mine did this and the evidence was on the flat of the plunger where the lock screw fits. Little sliding marks. I fabricated a manual tensioner and the problem was solved but, that is another subject.

As far as chain stretch, I recently put a new chain in my machine. The new chain compared to the old (50,000 miles +/-) showed only less than 1/8" of stretch. The tensioner can handle this easily. Had I known this I would never have bought the new chain.

All this stuff is fairly reliable and in my opinion the tensioner is the weak part.
          Mike Giroir
          79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the input guys.
            Ive had the bike for a few years now and am still learning stuff about it.
            YOU GUYS ROCK!
            I kinda figured the noise was probably a normal thing.
            Guess I really didnt notice it with the old rusty exhaust. HA!
            I recently put a Mac 4into 2 on it.
            I like the sound of them and they bolted on without any probs at all. (one hanger did loosen up) minor.
            Tho did seem to lose a little bottom end grunt. Mid to top rpm is still awsome.
            Was wondering if would need to re-jet but so far everything seems ok.
            Pipes are blueing a bit right around the bend, but being a single wall pipe I am figuring thats to be expected anyway. And the plugs still look the same so....
            Again a big thanks
            '81 sh " Maime" The Nature of The Beast

Comment

Well ...

the Mac systems are single wall which has a tendency to blue up anyway regareless of mixture. There are products to remove the blue but it will likely just return ... sooo ....

You could try backing out the idle mixture screws a half a turn to begin with, thus enrichening the mixture, to see it helps with low end grunt. The richer mixture may help reduce the blueing as well.

Just a word of caution also. Should you decide to remove the cam chain tensioner I recommend reading though this thread. http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...light=defeated It's a pretty complete discussion of the actual proceedure for doing so, which should include removal of the cam cover, and the ramifications of what can go wrong as well.
              80G Mini-bagger
              VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
              79SF eventually dismantled for parts
              79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
              79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
              79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

blue is the new chrome

I also run mac's 4-2. Love the sound and think the blue on the first knuckle is sexy. If I see mac's without the blue, I figure someone is spending too much time polishing and not near enough time riding. (or riding like a sissy)

BTW, Gonna put the pig up on the center stand and replace the busted case. Also pan on pulling the rear turn signal bar from the '79 std and putting it on thunderpig. This should make room for the luggage racks and the hard bags.
                I'll get to the dealers this coming week and get the front end straightened. I am thinking that if I exchange the brace/cast for an ace bandage or some type of wrap I made be back up and twisting the throttle by the end of the week. Being down this week has sucked to the xstreme.
                Lee aka trainzz

I am my inner child!!

I have no idea how you managed to make that connection within your brain, but I applaud whatever cellular mutation just took place.

1980 XS11 Special-"Thunder Pig"
                1980 XS11 Special-"Crazy Trainz" (project bike)
                1979 Xs1100 Standard ( parts,parts,parts)

Comment

guess i got lucky... i have removed the tensioner a couple of times to loosen the pluger and nothing happened???

it still ran fine. i think that's how bob jones said to do it in his book...
                  he just said to make sure the c is lined up on the pointer and then you can remove it. i'll check again buty i don't remember reading anything about taking the valve cover off...???
                  chris
                  " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                  xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                  8mm msd wires
                  tkat fork brace...
                  Fox shocks...
                  mikes650 front fender
                  led's gallore...
                  renthal bars
                  gold valve emulators
                  vmax tensioner
                  Rifle fairing

Comment

i'll check again buty i don't remember reading anything about taking the valve cover off...???

Read through the thread Thewiz posted a bit and you'll see what the problem CAN be. I've taken them off dozens and dozens of times with no problem. But there was this one time....

Basically, if you take the adjuster completely out and re-install... afterwards if you spin the crank manually a couple revs and it still feels smooth, you'll PROBABLY be ok. If you feel any notchiness.. it's your crank jumping a tooth and you need to stop right there and get it re-timed or you'll bend valves. If it feels smooth and you start it.. only to hear a LOT of chain noise.. stop immediately. You may have just bent valves, but you may still be ok also. You'd then HAVE to pull the valve cover, check your time, remove the adjuster again, advance your exhaust cam, re-install the adjuster,(When it slaps, it will pull the cam back in time) re-install the cover and hit the ignition and pray.. lol

Tod
                    Last edited by trbig; 08-10-2009, 05:53 AM.
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own