Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's it Worth?Hello, gentlemen. I am new to the forum. I have in my possession a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's it Worth?Hello, gentlemen. I am new to the forum. I have in my possession a

Hello, gentlemen. I am new to the forum. I have in my possession a 1981 XS1100H. It was given to me by my dad. It hasn’t ran since 1986 when he parked it. I am looking to sell it. My dad gave the carbs to a guy he worked with to rebuild but the guy passed away. When I went to pick them up, they were completely disassembled and in a brown paper grocery bag. The seat and air box assembly are missing. I squirted 50cc of a mixture of Marvel Mystery Oil and ATF down each sparkplug hole several years ago to keep the pistons moving freely. You can easily turn the motor over in 5th gear with the plugs out. The transmission shifts through all the gears. The tank was sealed by my dad’s friend but needs to be redone. All of the usual work (caliper rebuild, fork seals, master cylinder rebuild, etc.) needs to be done to get it back on the road. It has been sitting outside in my driveway beside my house for a few years, so it is a little weathered. It has two 0 mile Dunlop K491’s on it, though they are four or five years old. The best part about it is it only has 6,799 original miles and the tranny doesn’t have the shifting problem from 1st to 2nd like some XS’s (My dad rode real easy). It will make a good project for someone with the time to thoroughly go through it. Sorry this is so long winded, I’m just trying to get an idea what it’s worth. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Britt

Where is it?Do you have pics?

Value is subjective.Could be anywhere from $200 to $600 or $700.Not having all the parts and the carbs in a bag puts a damper on things though.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

The fact is sat for so long makes the low milage less of a plus in my opinion. It actually kind of hurts as in it sat THAT much for soooo long.

That said, If you live close to me, I would be happy to come take a look and make an offer.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

geez...what a letdown....for a sec there I thought he was gonna say "I have in my possession a brand new MNS still in a crate....."
        Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

PS. Sorry Britt...no bad on you...inside joke...see below.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23823
          Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

I bought my 81-H last summer. it had 3300 miles on it with mostly all original parts. the only rust is a little on the headers. I paid $1200.
            your best chance to sell it is to these guys who would put the time into fixing it up. You could part it out too. I could use the saddlebags. my right saddlebag is a backwards left saddlebag.

some here are looking for a bike to turn into a bobber:
            http://shopschops.blogspot.com/

some want a spare engine. let these guys know where you are.

Comment

hey guy bg...thats funny, i was thinkin i was about to read the same thing
              testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

Comment

haha, yeah so did I Guy...

I'm going to go with Tarzan on that 6 to $700 range. From the buyer's point of view it's kinda like buying a house... it's all about the curb appeal

...alone with location location location
                Josh Yoquelet -- I'm having dreams of my XS
                '79 XS11SF "stock"- 4/1 Kerker, T.C.'s fuse block
                '79 XS11SF "bobber"- Rotted in a pine tree for 10 years
                '81 Air forks w/23,000 miles
                New steering head races and bearings
                '78/'79 standard wire harness
                Drag bars, w/Mikes controls
                T.C.'s fuse block
                PNM Coils
                7mm Dyna Wires
                NGK Resistor Caps
                Custom 1" clutch and 9/16" MC

http://xs11bobber.tripod.com

Comment

Tank needing re-done, no seat, tires need replaced, carb parts may or may not all be there and possibly mixture tips broke off... Not trying to hurt your feelings, but I wouldn't give more than $150-$200 for a bike like that.

I hate to say it.. because I'm not a big proponent of seeing these things canibalized, but it will be much more valuable selling the pieces than as a whole bike. It takes a lot of time and effort though to do so.

I don't know your relationship, but there's a few things my dad gave me, who is now gone, that are among my most prized possesions. Monetarilly they aren't worth much to anyone else, but you couldn't buy them from me if you had a winning lottery ticket in trade. Your dad won't always be around either.. if he still is, and you would be MUCH better off spending a little time, elbow grease, and a few hundred bucks and getting that bike on the road again. Every time you climbed on, it would be like spending a little time with him there with you.

If you don't have the money to get it going right now.. let it sit a bit longer until you do. It's sat for over 20 years... what's a couple more?

Just my opinion...

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                    It's sat for over 20 years... what's a couple more
                    Well said Tod
                    Josh Yoquelet -- I'm having dreams of my XS
                    '79 XS11SF "stock"- 4/1 Kerker, T.C.'s fuse block
                    '79 XS11SF "bobber"- Rotted in a pine tree for 10 years
                    '81 Air forks w/23,000 miles
                    New steering head races and bearings
                    '78/'79 standard wire harness
                    Drag bars, w/Mikes controls
                    T.C.'s fuse block
                    PNM Coils
                    7mm Dyna Wires
                    NGK Resistor Caps
                    Custom 1" clutch and 9/16" MC

http://xs11bobber.tripod.com

Comment

+1 on what Trbid said!
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies. If anyone wants to see it or make a reasonable offer send me a message. I live in Seabrook, TX by the Johnson Space Center.

Thanks again,
                        Britt

Comment

I would hang onto it and perhaps even buy another one. It seems like thats the best way to get, and keep a xs11 on the the road, I know a lot of the guys here have extra bike, I don't, but it would have been nice. Either way at the end of the day if your going to decide to keep it and get it going I can say the it would be so worth it. Especially where it was your dads, but thats just my 2 cents.
                          "Shop"
                          Click Here! For the latest XS11 bobber update. shopschops.blogspot.com

Comment

I have to go with trbig on this one. If I got top dollar for everything I have from my father I might be able to pay for a weekend in Vegas. If I used my money on the tables.

I wouldn't trade any of it for anything though. He passed away on Dec. 7th 2001 and whenever I see something of his or pick up one of his old fly rods the memories just flood into my head. I value the things I have of his above most of the things I own. It may sound a bit too maudlin but I think you will be glad you have the bike.

No sir. Those are not for sale.....

Rodger
                            RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

I have to agree with the Dad's possessions thing. I just spent the day replacing the transmission in a 93 truck that was his when he passed. Trans cost about what the truck is worth on the open market. Didn't matter I could not bring myself to scrap the truck. Every time I drive it its like I'm honoring his memory and it makes me feel closer to him. You may want to re think that sale.
                              wingnut
                              81 SH (Daily Ride)
                              81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                              81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                              82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                              81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                              X