No announcement yet.

Just got a 1989 XJ 1100 (I think).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll definitely be taking it one step at a time. Can anyone recommend some good sites to buy new parts from? So far I've ran across:

http://www.gdlcycles.com
    https://www.partsnmore.com

I've also ran across a few others but the sites didn't have too much on them. I'm looking for one of those diamond in the rough type of online shops. Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted once I get that model number.
    1980 XS1100SG
    In the process of making her look pretty!
    P.S., TomRodgers has the best avatar icon ever!

Comment

Congrats on your 1980 Special, the 81's had the etched and painted circles on the ALT and Timing covers, his are plain. The regular specials both 80 and 81 had the straight spokes, only the MNS had the swirly spoked wheels.

Interesting paint job there! Just a bit of overspray! And the gas cap is from a standard made to fit the special. You can still get NEW nice chrome replacement caps from MikesXS.net, PNM is also good with reasonable prices, along with many other parts you'll need to get it back into shape! 44K miles is acceptable, but it could have the tranny gear skipping problem, or it may show up soon!? Depending on how far down you take it to fix it, might be a good time to tear into the engine and do the fix as a preventable measure, since you'll probably want to get into the engine to replace the clutch springs at least, if not the frictions as well. Being that far into it, it's not much farther to get to the tranny parts!

We can't see the fuseblock, but would suspect it has the OEM in it, a definite place to start with the electrical upgrade. Looks like there is an exhaust stud nut missing on the #1 pipe clamp at the head. Take your time, read ALL of the tech tips on here, and then use the search feature for other stuff you want to know about, and then ask here if you can't find the answer, or post/reply in the thread you found "some" of the answer if you need clarification on things!! Have Fun!

BTW, I have high speed access, but noticed that it still took quite a bit of time to D/L all of the photos into the thread from your hosting site. You posted your photos in there ORIGINAL FULL RES size, which takes many MB's per picture. You might want to first RESIZE your photos to be no bigger than 800x600 pixels, will save you a lot of bandwidth and time when you post the the followup photos....not griping, just an FYI for consideration.
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

It should be in better shape right now since those pictures are from the future! And it's dated the day after the end of the world that the Mayan's predicted! So don't worry everyone, there will still be XS11s after the world has ended!

Ok, so it looks like it needs some work but that's the fun part, for some of us.
        http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Originally posted by Montreux_Blue View Post
          It should be in better shape right now since those pictures are from the future! And it's dated the day after the end of the world that the Mayan's predicted! So don't worry everyone, there will still be XS11s after the world has ended!

Ok, so it looks like it needs some work but that's the fun part, for some of us.
          LOL, I was wondering when someone was going to pick up on that

Thanks for the info TC, I kept the images high res incase anyone needed a closer so later on tonight I'll size them up accordingly.
          1980 XS1100SG
          In the process of making her look pretty!
          P.S., TomRodgers has the best avatar icon ever!

Comment

Working...
          X