new bike owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new bike owner

just wanted to drop a post first to introduce myself. i am a new bike rider and a new xs 11 owner. i have been riding for about 2 years now and i just picked up my xs about 2 months ago. the 1980 xs100 special was wrecked when i bought it and i have been fixing it up for the past 2 months in my spare time. i am pretty pumped to get the bike on the road and ditch my old ninja 250.

here is a picture of the yamaha the day i picked it up. i consider it totaled because of the condition it was in, it didn't run and i think it was rolled over a few times.

as of right now the bike is just about finished. i have turned it into a bobber/custom bike. the bike still has fenders and most of the stock components, but i took off most of the additional things i didn't need or want.

here is a pic from the same day after we cut and removed some parts. it's what i was going for in my head.

Comment

Very nice looking. That is what I want to pick up next, a tortured old 11 to play around with and make into something unique. Love to see pics of what you have now. Also what did you do with the parts you removed, like the seat. Does not look like your reusing it. Looks like the king/queen from a 79.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Welcome

Congrats on your purchase. Remember we love pictures hear so keep posting them as you rebuilt. Good luck!
        Lee aka trainzz

I am my inner child!!

I have no idea how you managed to make that connection within your brain, but I applaud whatever cellular mutation just took place.

1980 XS11 Special-"Thunder Pig"
        1980 XS11 Special-"Crazy Trainz" (project bike)
        1979 Xs1100 Standard ( parts,parts,parts)

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you've got quite a project there! Definitely toss/replace that fairing, and I hope you got rid of that seat . Are you planning to restore it to stock, or do something a bit more creative with it?

Also, be very careful with this upgrade! You'll be very surprised the first time you hit the gas on this thing how much oomph it has - especially for such a heavy bike. It will try to rip right out of your hands and leave you on the pavement.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

I loved how you moved the rear fender in. It looks pretty sweet!
            1978 XS1100E Standard
            Kerker Exhaust
            Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
            TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
            Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

i do still have the rear seat. it was a bit bent up from the crash but i had to save it. it reminds me of a video game chair. i am not going to put it back on the bike, i have a small solo seat now from ebay.

i picked up the bike from a towing company that had towed it from the accident. the original owner didn't pay the towing bill so that's how i got it.

i did manage to get it running before i started to fix it up. i wanted to make sure it ran before i dumped any time and money into it. i took it for a quick ride and then started to tear into it. it was much quicker than i expected, the handlebars were so bent up from the accident it was hard to handle.

the bike is just about finished and it is completely different. i have a few pictures of the buildup but i do not have them on the computer yet. it's kinda like a bobber/ 40's style bike. i am trying to keep the entire build under $500

a used un-dented tank was WAY to expensive!
              here is a taste of the new paint, the tank all finished up. it was pretty dented from the crash so i added a ton of puddy to the tank to get it just right.

Comment

Welcome to the site,

Man, that thing was really bruised up!

Doesn't look like you are a stranger to wrenching!

Keep us posted!
                RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Nice work, Ralph, welcome the the forum!

Regards,

Scott
                  -- Scott
                  _____
                  ♬
                  2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                  1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                  1979 XS1100F: parts
                  2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
                  ♬

Comment

Welcome to the forum,
                    Really nice work on the tank,
                    how did you go about repairing it?
                    pete

new owner of
                    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                    zrx carbs
                    18mm float height
                    145 main jets
                    38 pilots
                    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
                      No kidding! That's nice work! Tell us - how'd you do that!??
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphdogg View Post
                        just wanted to drop a post first to introduce myself. i am a new bike rider and a new xs 11 owner. i have been riding for about 2 years now and i just picked up my xs about 2 months ago. the 1980 xs100 special was wrecked when i bought it and i have been fixing it up for the past 2 months in my spare time. i am pretty pumped to get the bike on the road and ditch my old ninja 250. - - - -
                        Hi Ralph and welcome,
                        see Andreas Weiss in the bikes and parts for sale sections for a tank and other items at reasonable costs. And let's be careful out there; switching from a 250 Ninja to an XS11 is like switching from a jeep to an Abrams, except you can't fall off an Abrams.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by petejw View Post
                          Welcome to the forum,

i had a ton of putty laying around. i started with fiberglass and then used regular bondo. it took a few coats but i am happy with the progress.

i have a small off road fabrication business and i had the stickers laying around. i used the stickers as stencils for the black paint.

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                            Hi Ralph and welcome,
                            see Andreas Weiss in the bikes and parts for sale sections for a tank and other items at reasonable costs. And let's be careful out there; switching from a 250 Ninja to an XS11 is like switching from a jeep to an Abrams, except you can't fall off an Abrams.

exactly! the xs felt like a rocket compared to the ninja 250. i was looking for a 600-900cc bike since i am 5' 6" tall but ended up with the xs11. so far i am very happy that i found the bike and would not trade it for anything.

Comment

Luggage?

Hey was the luggage in salvageable shape? Were you looking to keep or sell it if you still have them around? I'd be interested to buy if you're selling, depending on the shape of course. Private Message me if you're interested. Thanks

---------------------------------------------------

1979 XS1100 Special - "Viera"

Comment

Working...
                              X