idle mixture screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle mixture screws

how do you get those factory sealed caps out? seems i need a coil for2&3 should i get new or used ? thanks!!

use a 1/8th reverse twist drill bit, then screw sheet metal screw into plug and pull them out.... use extreme caution to avoid damaging the needles when the bit goes thru the plug...most of the time a sharp bit will grab and start ot turn the plug, when it does pull out on the drill while the plug turns and it will walk out..... using the reverse drill bit means that should you slip and the bit hits the needle it will screw it out, instead of turning it hard into the carb body and damaging both. if you get a very suborn one you can use a bent puller which works every time. Larry R
    Alias Larry R in Kelso WA

When in dought, punch it.
    XS1100LG Precious current
    XS1100SF Ruby gone to a better home
    KZ900B MIA stolen (ALL bike thieves MUST GET OFF THE PLANET more politically correct ???)

Comment

If you can get a drill bit into the cap and open that hole up a bit, it's then possible to get a wood screw into the cap. Carefully screw it in until it's caught really good, then use a pair of pliers to pry the cap off (if it didn't come off already).

That's what I did when I needed to get mine off, and it seemed to work fine.
      Currently XS-less.

Comment

If you are going to replace only one coil,I would use either new or used.
        Although you can get better coils for around $100 for both that will deliver way better spark.

As for the plugs ,they arent hard to remove,I use a bit I got at sears that has a center drill on one end and a short tapered easy-out on the other end.I just center drill a hole in it,then flip the bit and spin the drill slowly while pulling on the drill.The plugs come right out.
        Rick
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Just took mine out. Since I left my carbs in. And had to use tools available. I first used a long extension for my cordless drill. Put a self tapping bit on and drilled almost all the way through but not all the way. Then took a 3" drywall screw. Screwed it in just enough to bite. It bit very well and does not go in far enough to damage or turn the screw your after. Then took a vice grip and pulled out brass cap.

I got the green Mikes XS coils. Had to sync two times. But Im getting 42mpg now. Was at 36
          Last edited by Getty; 08-02-2009, 09:49 PM.
          Getty

1980 SG

Comment

Working...
          X