Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

d*mn electrical switches.....aarrgghh!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• d*mn electrical switches.....aarrgghh!!!

hey there folks.....i may be a bit slow, but i think i have solve the problem.....was going 2 work last week, stopped off for drinks for work (pop & juice...going into work!)...jumped back on and no start...battery dying.....luckly a guy was just opening his garage and gave me a jump.....rode one mile, got stuck at the light and she died.....pushed her 1/2 mile to get 2 work 1/2 hour late....beautiful start to a busy work day....btw, these b*stards are heavy especially when you are pushing uphill to cross the train tracks....charged her during work, got it home....rode out and got a brand new battery this weekend....rode 2 a friends house to have a couple cold ones and shoot the poop....stopped at the party store and when i come out....no go.....disconnect trunk/head lights and finally get her goin'....ride by the friends house and was not there....figure i better get her home while i can....hit the highway and flew all the way home.....(please forgive me beer gods, but had a 6 pack of bud light in the trunk and they got beat up all the way home....gonna have 2 drink those ones 2morrow!!!)...threw her on the charger and started poking around the electrical....figured out that the rear brake switch was stuck in the "on" position (probably since before i switched the battery out)....and low and behold with the headlight, running lights, and 6 brake lights on full blast, it almost killed the battery....pulled the rear brake switch (front has not worked since i have had her!)...and now i can not get it to work either.....was figuring @#$@# it...replace both switches and be done with it....looked on mikesxs.com and think i found the switches i need but wanna check it you guys to make sure i got the right ones.....looking at the 12-0009 switch for the rear and the 12-0044 switch for the front....needless to say the "rebel devil" is offline until this little brake light problem is fixed...i only go 12 miles to work but on a busy road (gratiot ave) and just my luck 2 get pulled over for a !@#$@'ed up brake light...thanx in advance for any advice.....take care and ride safe.....ross
    rebel devil
    1979 xs 1100f standard
    authenic historical vehicle
    42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
    "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
    "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
    "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
    '96 venture cct.....installed!
    stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
    i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

A the XS's from 500 on up used the same brake light switches. One other thing, with that many tail lights, you should think about switching at least 4 of them to LED.

My wing had 8 1157 bulbs burning all the time when I got it (2 up front and 6 in the back.) I've converted all to LED and the difference in power draw is amazing... I've already put 2 LED's in the tail light on my XS11 but there are no lights in the bags on it...

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Sounds like your charging system is not working properly. If the switches don't help, try checking your regulator/rectifier diodes. Check the system voltage when you are running also. If its low, either your diodes/regulator are bad or the rotor or stator fields in your alternator may damaged/ shorted.
      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
      Acta Non Verba

Comment

more info....

hey there folks.....pulled it apart and when you pull the switch outta place you wind up with 2 wires....one with a female plug from bike to switch and one male....simple current check with key on shows tail light is on and that the female end coming outta the bike into the switch is positive.....male has no charge....when power is hooked up to the male wire brake light is on.....can get no current to flow thru switch no matter what position it is in.....very much lookin' into led lights as we speak.....pricey, but worth the increased juice.....still scratching my head about this one.....like a freight train in the night, i never saw this one coming, but owning an XS....i've come to expect this and plan around it.....talk 2 ya later and ride safe....ross
        rebel devil
        1979 xs 1100f standard
        authenic historical vehicle
        42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
        "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
        "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
        "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
        '96 venture cct.....installed!
        stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
        i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

Working...
        X