need help searching for the perfect tank and tail bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help searching for the perfect tank and tail bag

i am a ready to go traveller and i always have my xs ready pack with clothes and stuff. but i have been using a backpack from ergodyne as a tank bag. all i did was strap like on yur back but only on the tank... im am looking for the perfect tank bag and saddle bags or whatever..... everyone here has a xs so it is a perfect to find out what tank back and luggage boxes work great... i dont care if i have to modify my bike for tail bags but i am not gonna modify my tank.... my tank cap is not centered of my tank but is offset toward the right... let me know.....
    yamaha xs 1100
    4 into 1
    air cooled
    emco filters
    clubman bars
    one bad mofo riding it

Originally posted by ichiro360 View Post
    i am a ready to go traveller and i always have my xs ready pack with clothes and stuff. but i have been using a backpack from ergodyne as a tank bag. all i did was strap like on yur back but only on the tank... im am looking for the perfect tank bag and saddle bags or whatever..... everyone here has a xs so it is a perfect to find out what tank back and luggage boxes work great... i dont care if i have to modify my bike for tail bags but i am not gonna modify my tank.... my tank cap is not centered of my tank but is offset toward the right... let me know.....
    I use a Cortech Mini tank bag its magnetic and even at 85 mph it doesnt flyoff at all...its down low enough that it is clear of the tank cap...as for saddle bags there are many kinds of soft bags that will work...I dont have any but again look at the Cortech line of stuff they make lots of different configurations of tail/saddle bags and a combination of both as well. I am planning to add a back rack with a trunk on it rather than soft luggage...you should be able to come up with something good.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

A year ago I picked up a 27L tank bag from MOTOPAK I've been real happy with. Picked it up off of Ebay for $55 delivered. Being expandable, I've been able to put most anything in it and it stays put. Looking at getting a set of saddlebags from them as well.
      Richard

Comment

I don't use (yet) but have heard good things about Rapid Transit bags http://www.rapid-transit.com/rt/index.htm
        K. Johnson
        -1978 XS750SF - brought back from the dead with carb
        triple clean and boots
        -1982 XJ1100J - brought back from the dead by
        replacing motor after throwing #4 rod
        -1985 XJ750XN - shim job, oil change, ride. not bad for
        $500 including new rear tire.

Comment

Well.. what's your definition of perfect tank bag? One that is a bit aerodynamic that won't hold as much, or something that you can pack the kitchen sink in and still have room leftover for the body you plan to ditch in the woods?

Same with saddle bags. Do you want just good functional, or do you want ginormous?

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I have a large Tourmaster magnetic tank bag. It has never budged on my E, LG or XL250 dual-sport. It does come with a strap that attaches it to the frame (and I use it) but it has never been needed.
            I have hard-bagsand trunk on my E so no advice on those. I have bungeed a duffle on the seat of my LG and that worked great.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Personally, I love the styling of the Vetter hard luggage system. I just got a Vetter Trunk, and it mounts to any luggage rack. If you don't already have one, the luggage rack would be the place to start. Be sure you get a rack that fits your bike (diffferent styles for standards vs specials). If you want saddlebags, are you looking for hard or soft? Removable, or fixed? Lots of options there. Vetter has a setup for that too, and the original Yamaha setup was made by Pacifico, IIRC. Any regular soft saddlebags will work, as long as they don't hang too low and sit on your pipes. I actually just took my soft saddlebags off, in favor of the trunk. I saw a guy on an old Goldwing the other day, dropping a full case of beer into his Vetter trunk. It still had enough room for snacks, if he had them!

So, really, your options are open, and you just have to decide what you like. Look at other folks' setups, and ask them about what they have.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

I would have to agree with cbug, I love the look and utility of the vetter hardbag system. I have a complete setup on my 80G and love that I can fit well over $100 worth of groceries in them when I go to the store. I had soft bags when I got the bike and just didn't have the space to carry much of anything. That said, with the bags and all the bike does have a fat butt, but I still think it looks good.

I also have a small corbin tank bag for carrying things like a camera and stuff that I need access to without getting off the bike, I might even try putting my GPS unit in the clear part of it at some point.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                  I might even try putting my GPS unit in the clear part of it at some point.
                  I just used the suction cup mounting bracket and mounted the GPS to the tank. I licked the suction cup and wiped the tank first, and it made it all the way from Kansas City to St. Louis, at close to 100mph at times. Of course, that was behind a Windjammer...
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

I have a LARGE Nelson Riggs tank bag on the standard, and a small one on the Midnight Special. They are both magnetic, and work great. I DO have a set of Nelson Riggs LARGE soft saddlebags that I no longer use. I did use them for my 7,300 mile trip three years ago, and had them on and off a few times after that. The "new" bike had the Vetter saddle bags, so I now use them.
                    ANY soft bag WILL need a bar to keep them off the shocks and brakes. I used a 3/8" steel brake line and bent it to work. You can buy universal mount kits that do the same thing.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                      ANY soft bag WILL need a bar to keep them off the shocks and brakes. I used a 3/8" steel brake line and bent it to work. You can buy universal mount kits that do the same thing.
                      Not true! My soft bags hang down clear of the shocks, and actually tie ONTO the bottom of the shock springs with a leather cord. No need for any additional support brackets, as long as they don't sag down too far and rest on the pipes.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                        I just used the suction cup mounting bracket and mounted the GPS to the tank. I licked the suction cup and wiped the tank first, and it made it all the way from Kansas City to St. Louis, at close to 100mph at times. Of course, that was behind a Windjammer...
                        Well, mine would be behind a windjammer too. I guess I should try it and see how it works, as long as it stays in place I will be happy.
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

make sure the tank bag has a clear face for maps! I'd love to get a nice sized tank bag, but i doubt i'd be able to see over it eheheh
                          1978 XS1100E Standard
                          Kerker Exhaust
                          Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
                          TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
                          Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

Working...
                          X