Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the secret to replacing the front brake light switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the secret to replacing the front brake light switch?

I cleaned up my front master cyl., and had trouble trying to unplug the switch. Finally it popped apart. (WHOOPS) I reassembled everything, now the switch doesn't work. Still have the rear to actuate the light thou. Just wondering the secret to replacing this switch.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Mine popped apart when I rebuilt my master cylinder too. I was able to get everything lined up and working again tho. You might want to pop yours apart again and fiddle with it to see if you can repair it. There's a hole on the underside of the brake lever housing that you can access the retaining clip. Just push the clip in and it should release the brake switch housing.
    Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
    '07 FJR1300

Comment

There is a chance that you broke off the plastic locking tab when the switch finally popped out. If this is the case, rotate the switch 180 degrees and plug it back in. There is a lock tab on the other side that does not normally get used. The flat face on the side of the body of the switch that is supposed to align it will no longer be doing its job, but the switch will stoll work. You will just need to be a bit careful not to twist it out of alignment or the lock tab could release.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Broken lock tabs are easily remedied by threading a small (2 or3 inch) zip tie around the connector and between the wires to hold it together. Cheap and effective, and hardly noticeable if you match the color of the zip tie to the connector.

I also wonder if you have pulled the terminals out of the connector. Try taking a small screw driver and pushing the terminals from the back side of the connector, to make sure they are making contact.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
        X