Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help restoring '81 Eleven Special to factory spec in CA

Hello -

Just joined - received an '81 Eleven Special (~102k miles and going strong) from my stepfather (who bought it new in '81) about a year ago. Minor tune up has made it a fun daily bike for the last year. I am not the most mechanical - but would like to explore restoring the bike to factory spec - essentially looking as it did off the showroom floor. I am more inclined to have someone perform this restore work for me - and was wondering if anyone here knows of a good Southern Cal (I'm in San Diego) resource.

All thoughts and comments appreciated.

Best,

Nate

Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately, you will be hard-pressed to find a modern mechanic with the knowlege and skills necessary to properly take care of your bike. Many places won't touch these vintage machines, and the ones who will, charge a fortune! To be honest, you'll be better off reading and learning here, then doing the work yourself. If you're looking for a FULL restoration, start by tearing EVERYTHING apart, and have the frame powder-coated. Re-doing ALL the electircal connections is a must, and have everything else that requires paint, painted at a real body shop. Then, it's just a matter of replacing any damaged parts, and putting the whole thing back together! I highly suggest taking pictures at every step along the way.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

hey there

I am in san diego too let's hook up some time, where do you live?
      91 kwaka kz1000p
      Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Working...
      X