New here and new to me 78XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here and new to me 78XS1100

Hi all, I am new here and just picked up a 78 XS1100 (non runner). Got it started and it has a rattly gear noise in the starter/clutch area. I removed the clutch cover but nothing unusual under there. I did a search and will adjust the cam chain and synch the carbs. Hopefully this will help.
    If anyone has any input I would appeciate it.

I'll post a pic when it looks decent,I am in the process of painting the tank and recovering the seat.
    1978 XS1100E, superbike bars, 4 into 1 Kerker, k&n, repaired trans.

Welcome XS11head

Congrats on the the new bike(or new to you).
    You have definitely found the best place for help resurrecting an XS.
    Hope you enjoy.
    Rick
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

St. Louis!?? What part? I'm at the corner of I-70 and I-170. Not too many of us in this area. If you need any assistance, just give me a holler. You've found the best place for information about these bikes. This website is an incredible source of information and help, so don't hesitate to ask questions.

I went from a non-running bike last Sepember, to taking it to Kansas City and back last weekend, thanks to the folks on this site. It's now my primary mode of transportation! We'll get you all fixed up.

You mentioned a rattly noise. There is a good chance that there is a hole/rust break in the exhaust. Have you removed the headers yet? The heat shield just under the foot peg covers an area that tends to rust out.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Welcome to channel 11! The more details we have on your situation, the better. It's a good idea to put the particulars of your setup in your signature - model, mods (exhaust, intake, jetting, etc.) These things tend to be a little noisy on top, so again, the more detailed your description, the easier it will be to provide you with input that's actually relevant.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Well now

It's always great to see another obvious brilliant individual who correctly made the decision to rescue a classic metric work of art. Welcome to the world of two-wheeled rocket science. OK, maybe science is a stretch, but when you '78 is in good running order, crank the throttle and ride that rocket.

There are a butt-load of good folks in your area and bigfoot and russ are just up the road, so use all of us for whatever knowledge (them) and opinions (me) that it takes to get up up in riding trim.
          Lee aka trainzz

I am my inner child!!

I have no idea how you managed to make that connection within your brain, but I applaud whatever cellular mutation just took place.

1980 XS11 Special-"Thunder Pig"
          1980 XS11 Special-"Crazy Trainz" (project bike)
          1979 Xs1100 Standard ( parts,parts,parts)

Comment

I'm 100 miles out of St Louis. I guess I have a couple XS neibors

Comment

Hmm, your XS neighbors are closer than you think. 100 miles out of STL? That sounds familiar...

Nice to know that there are other XS'ives in the 'ham!
              Last edited by bgrubb7; 07-31-2009, 10:54 AM.
              '81 H XS11 Standard.

Comment

I'm in O'fallon, MO. I-70 & Hwy K

Comment

Originally posted by xs11head View Post
                  I'm in O'fallon, MO. I-70 & Hwy K
                  There's another member here, XS11jack, located in O'fallon too! He doesn't seem to post all that often, but we should get together for a ride some time. Big St. Charles Motorsports is having some big hoopla this weekend, with Dyno drag racing and stuff, if you're interested.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

We could definately ride. I might check out the Big St Charles deal.
                    I finally took this bike out for a test ride( no gas tank) and its pretty strong but I think the rattle sound is the second gear issue. When I got on it a little second thrashed out all the others gears are good. Am I in for an engine removal?

Comment

Originally posted by xs11head View Post
                      We could definately ride. I might check out the Big St Charles deal.
                      I finally took this bike out for a test ride( no gas tank) and its pretty strong but I think the rattle sound is the second gear issue. When I got on it a little second thrashed out all the others gears are good. Am I in for an engine removal?
                      Ahh! The fabled 2nd gear fix! I actually just did that on my bike in Kansas City last weekend (on 1st gear though). No engine removal required. There is a tech tip that details the process, step-by-step, and it's about a 4-5 hour job. You'll need a dremel (or a die grinder) and some permatex to put it back together. Other than that, an impact wrench helps, but is not required, and a torqure wrench is needed for the clutch nut. I did mine all on the side stand the first 2 times (I've done it 3 times, once for each of 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears) and the last time on a real motorcycle lift. One of the tips says to turn the bike over on it's back, but that's just too much work IYAM. I'd be happy to help you with it some time if you like.

Are you saying you don't have a gas tank for your bike?? Or did you just not put it on for the test ride? Would make travelling any further than the driveway a bit tricky, wouldn't it??
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Thats cool not having to remove the eng. I may take you up on the repair. I appreciate the offer. Heres a pic of the beast as it was ridden today on its maiden voyage. The gas tank is in primer ready for paint.

Last edited by Ken Talbot; 07-31-2009, 10:41 PM. Reason: inserted direct link to larger image

Comment

That's a cute little impromptu fuel tank! Won't get you too far, but it works!
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Updated pic

Got the gas tank sprayed and the seat on. Now I need to find side covers and I have a sport type fairing I may install.

Last edited by Ken Talbot; 08-01-2009, 09:35 PM. Reason: image converted from link to in-line

Comment

Ah, here's what we like to see - a shot of the inside of a guy's garage. Gives us a bit more of an idea of a fellow's character!

- Pretty teeny looking floor jack there, maybe just big enough for lifting your daughter's bicycle?
                              - We gotta hear a bit more about that orange monster by the door
                              - Still haven't got around to putting up the gyproc on that far wall, eh?
                              Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
                              X