93 GSXR1000 carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cat,
    I CAN do my own in about 20 minutes. If I work on other carbs, as I do, I need to start from an unknown baseline. They usually take about an hour, but I HAVE had other problems get in the way. I have one set I need to go over again, once new coils are installed......
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

So, Monday evening get all the mix screws set t o2 1/4 turns out. open up the top of #4 to adjust needle hieght and figure not to do it and see how it is with the screws set. So put the carbs back on. and start it up. idling nice, when I bump the throttle pretty good it stumbles, and actually died once. I could rev it up slowly and it sounded pretty good. So decide to take it for a spin, in first at low RPMs running crappy ,sputtering hit 4 k and she takes off like a rocket. SO I am thinking "sweet" atleast I got the main jet and possibly the needle height right. Wrong, after about 1- 2 mins. It starts running like crap at the top end too, missing feels flat . So I get back and pull the plugs and the electrodes are white/lite tan. Look over at my bench and see guess what....................wait for it

My diphram spring from carb #4 sitting on the bench.
      Anywho going on a trip for work Saturday, and will have some pod filters waiting for me when I get back. I am going to put those on, and build myself a little y pipe collector to connect my exhausts pipes to give me a 4-2-1 no baffle exhaust. After that I am gonna resume tuning. No sense getting crazy trying to tune it now with no filters, and a 4-2 w/no baffles. I will post up again when all that is completed. Atleast I know now these carbs work sort of
      Last edited by audijunky; 08-05-2009, 07:49 AM.
      "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
      "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
      79 XS1100 modified standard
      Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
      pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
      straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
      new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
      Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
      Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
      owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

Originally posted by audijunky View Post
        No sense getting crazy trying to tune it now with no filters, and a 4-2 w/no baffles. I will post up again when all that is completed. Atleast I know now these carbs work sort of
        +1 on your tuning logic.

If #4 diaphragm spring was on the bench and not in the carb, that would definitely give you some trouble....

Post back when the spring is back in and when you have the pods installed.
        1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
        1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
        1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
        1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
        1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
        1982 XS650
        1980 XS1100g
        1979 XS1100sf
        1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Allrighty then
          Got some pods on them, reinstalled #4 diaphram spring. Also dropped needle clips down to the last notch on the needles. Taking off it is a dog stumbling, moving but not right, hit around 5k and she backfires than starts to windup pretty good, hit about 8.5-9 k and she flatlines. Didnt check plugs yet, dont really got the room to do a high rpm plug drop. Really need a carb sync. Anyway I am leaning toward lean on the bottom and top end. upper level rpms I dont know whats going on. I really need a carb sync and a dyno A/F ratio test. Thinking about resetting my mix screws to 2 1/2 or maybe 3 turns out. What say you all?
          Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna

Comment

Do you mean the top notch on your needles, or the bottom notch? I would think that you would be wanting to lower the needles rather than raise them, but this supposes that the bike is rich in the midrange. If you are in the bottom notch, then you are probably running way to rich in the bottom midrange, causing that terrible bog.
            I would do the carb sync first before anything else, so that you have at least that part tuned correctly. Then start with the jetting, etc. Adjusting the mixture screws will only affect decel and idle, but wil not have much effect over that. Dyno if you can, but if not, check your midrange for being rich. It is really easy to do. Good luck!
            Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Its times like these when a good exhaust sniffer and a dyno would be so much help. You could actually see where it is lean and rich.

I feel for you. I have been down the tuning road... Adjust only one thing at a time and pay close attention to it making things better or worse. if it doesn't make much of a change, its probably about right, and time to look else where.
              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by audijunky View Post
                Allrighty then
                Got some pods on them, reinstalled #4 diaphram spring. Also dropped needle clips down to the last notch on the needles. Taking off it is a dog stumbling, moving but not right, hit around 5k and she backfires than starts to windup pretty good, hit about 8.5-9 k and she flatlines. Didnt check plugs yet, dont really got the room to do a high rpm plug drop. Really need a carb sync. Anyway I am leaning toward lean on the bottom and top end. upper level rpms I dont know whats going on. I really need a carb sync and a dyno A/F ratio test. Thinking about resetting my mix screws to 2 1/2 or maybe 3 turns out. What say you all?
                Are you confident that your main jet is correct? You really need to have that correct - first. Go rich enough on the main that when you do WOT, the bike pulls like a beast and has tan plugs. Once you have that right, work down from there. Just my opinion but I think it would make it waaaayy easier for you.
                1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                1982 XS650
                1980 XS1100g
                1979 XS1100sf
                1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

^^^^^ What Ivan said! It doesn't matter which jet you start with if you don't know where you are at.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

And what Shuriken said....just not on the ball I guess

Comment

well then next step, drop in some 140's
                      thanks guys
                      Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna

Comment

Hey Audi,
                        sounds like you could be rich in the middle(needle) and
                        lean on the mains.
                        What gear are you in when it starts running flat up high?
                        pete

new owner of
                        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                        1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                        zrx carbs
                        18mm float height
                        145 main jets
                        38 pilots
                        slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                        fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

first gear, with the little room I have to wind it, that is all I can do. Its wierd, but it backfires consistently when transitioning from mid to high RPMs. And right after the backfire is when she starts to pull hard. I dont know if that means I am rich going to lean or vice versa.
                          Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna

Comment

Originally posted by Shuriken View Post
                            Are you confident that your main jet is correct? You really need to have that correct - first. Go rich enough on the main that when you do WOT, the bike pulls like a beast and has tan plugs. Once you have that right, work down from there. Just my opinion but I think it would make it waaaayy easier for you.
                            No I am not confident at all. I mean these carbs came with 114 and it ran like poo with those in, So i dropped in the 137.5 from the XS carbs and it helped, but I dont know if they are exactly what I needed.
                            With the XS carbs on my top end felt spot on, and I was running 150 mains!! I dont know what these carbs need with my motor/setup. All trial and error right now trying to figure it out.

As of now I got 93 GSXR 1100 carbs ( I know the thread title says 1k)
                            pod filters, 137.5 mains, needle clip on last position down, 42.5 pilots, mix screws 2 1/4 turns out, 4-2 straight pipe exhaust w/washer inserts to add some back pressure.
                            starting in first: WOT -low rpm up to about 5 k she is weak, bogging sputtering at around 5-6k rpm backfires than feels like I got shot out of cannon up to about 8-9K rpms than she flatlines. Thats all I got. Plus while doing all my little tweaks and such the plugs always look lean, but that is overall color not a certain RPM's color.
                            thanks for all of your inputs, as soon as I do something else I will post up again.
                            Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna

Comment

Its to hard to tell when youve only got the 1 gear to play with,
                              and if your on flat/declining ground when your testing you might not even be opening your mains completely (slides fully open).
                              I dont know any real way of checking the carbs without taking the bike out onto at least a highway. Sorry I know that doesnt help much.
                              pete

new owner of
                              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                              1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                              zrx carbs
                              18mm float height
                              145 main jets
                              38 pilots
                              slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                              fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

OK so I go to put in the 140 mains I have. BUT the 137.5's wont come out
                                Not only that they break off in the emulsion tube. SWEET JESUS
                                ALL of them broke off, whats the old staying 1 step forward 2 steps back?
                                thats about how my process is going. Managed to save one of the tubes with an easy out. the other three are toast. I may have overtightened while installing, they might have broken then cause I had to stick a small flathead under the top of the main to get that to come off after I had turned them trying to take them out. Anyways got an email out to Factory Pro. Hopefully they can set me up with some new and improved emulsion tubes, needles, and jets. They make kits for the GSXR but they dont list jet sizes.
                                Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna

Comment

Working...
                                X