Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a trick to removing petcock screen filters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a trick to removing petcock screen filters?

I really need to get the screen filters off in order to get the gunk out of all the passages. It looks like they are just pressed in. I can wobble it back and forth a bit, but can't get it move out. I'm a bit afraid to work it much harder, as I don't want to break these fragile buggers. Is there a trick? They are the vaccuum type from an '81 H
    '81 H XS11 Standard.

Just use a toothbrush from the outside, and carb cleaner from the inside, along with some compressed air. No need to remove them.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by bgrubb7 View Post
      I really need to get the screen filters off in order to get the gunk out of all the passages. It looks like they are just pressed in. I can wobble it back and forth a bit, but can't get it move out. I'm a bit afraid to work it much harder, as I don't want to break these fragile buggers. Is there a trick? They are the vacuum type from an '81 H
      Hi Grubb,
      carefully pry them out with a little screwdriver. Stick 'em back in with epoxy. I'm surprised they won't just pull out. They have a nasty habit of falling out on their own to lay in the bottom of the tank. This is an asymptomatic failure until you switch to reserve only to find the reserve has all been used, you are stuck by the side of the road out of fuel and that you have been running on unfiltered gas since God knows when.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
      X