Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is a good place to buy brake pads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is a good place to buy brake pads?

Been scouring the net to find some brake pads. I have heard that it is hard to beat the OEM pads, but it seems any are hard to find.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

What model? Might want to put that in your signature so we can help you with model-specific questions like this. The Standards are different from the specials, and the fronts are different from the rears.

My MNS is more like the XJ, so my parts probably won't help, but it'll give you a place to look.

I got my rear brake pads from Z1 enterprises, and fronts from PartsNMore.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

I recently installed EBC non-asbestos organic brake pads on Betsy and they work very well. I paid a little more for the EBC's than I would have for partsnmore pads, but the EBC's use kevlar and other 'high tech' fibers rather than asbestos. A common misconception about brakes is that the rotors glaze - they don't. The pads can, however, if they get hot enough. High heat causes the asbestos to crystallize which is commonly referred to as glazing. Once that happens you've got coaster brakes. Kevlar has higher resistance to heat than asbestos, so I thought it was a better choice. In fairness, I'm not sure you could get the brakes hot enough on an XS to glaze, but I don't take any chances with my brakes. At 560 pounds these things already don't want to stop, even when the brakes are perfect. All things being equal, I'd rather keep myself out of some cager's trunk . My $.02.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Just another shopping point. You don't want to get SINTERED pads! These are impregnated with metal, and they will cause excessive wear on the brake rotors. They are also more for racing applications, and actually don't provide as good of braking force/effect UNTIL they are heated up considerably...but this happens during racing applications, but not with normal riding! Again, with the cost and rarity of our rotors, I'd rather replace pads.
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

If you have a special:
          http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
          79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box
          79 XS1100 SF - parts (for now) - "Divorce Maker II"
          79 XS1100 SF "The one that got away" sold in 1993.

Comment

I've bought from these people on ebay and their products appear OK to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamah...=p4506.c0.m245
            1980G Standard, Restored
            Kerker 4 - 1
            850 Rear End Mod
            2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
            Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
            Automatic CCT
            1980GH Special, Restored
            Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
            '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
            Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Got my rear XJ pads right from the dealer, they had them in stock, otherwise it took two days and cost about 35 bucks
              Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

Cobia - Those are the sintered pads TC was warning against. The complete set that 65old linked to are the EBCs, and it's a decent price.
                I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Thanks for the heads up DB.
                  1980G Standard, Restored
                  Kerker 4 - 1
                  850 Rear End Mod
                  2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                  Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                  Automatic CCT
                  1980GH Special, Restored
                  Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                  '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                  Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

ouch!
                    I have been running them on my XJ for 5k now
                    not good either?
                    82 XJ1100 Klonk= SOLD
                    No longer active member.

Comment

Yeah, stay away from the sintered pads. It's like using sand paper on your rotors.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                      X