stripped pilot jet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stripped pilot jet

Do they make an easy out that small? What methods are there to removing a stripped out pilot jet?
    1979 XS1100 special

SKyhead,

If you mean the littel itty bitty jet that is in the float bowl area, then I have removed one with an easy out. I strongly suggest getting some PB Blaster or similar (not WD-40, it is not a penetrating oil) and spray them down really good wiht that and soak for an hour or so before trying to remove. I also suggest left handed/twist drill bits instead of an easy out. I tried an easy out on one of my mixture screws and found myself in very deep dog doo!! There is a thread or so about it on here back in December/January time frame.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

no, biggy.

I've worked on MANY barn specials with corroded carbs..

Here is what you need to do.

tear down your carb(not the bank) Especialy removing the diaphram!

get a left handed drill bit or easy out

now take a propane torch and heat the pilot jet riser area
      (with the carb tore down any gas left in there cannot explode.)

now remove heat and spray WD40 into pilot hole area. The heat will help the
      WD40 sink in and penitrate, it will also cause the aluminum carb casting
      to expand, aluminum expands more then brass, so the "hole" will get bigger.

Now repeat the heating and spraying 3-4 more times, Be careful wd40 smoke is flammable.

now take your tool of choise and try removing your jet.

WD40 contains a small ammount of acid to eat rust and corrosion so please don't use it as a lube for cables or you may find the acid did more harm then good.

Good luck!
      as i said, i've had great sucsess using this method.

Webs
      1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
      1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Yep. I went to Home Depot and got an easy-out much like this one. It's just a #1 screw extractor. It worked on mine.

1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
        X