Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped Cam Tensioner

Hey Guys,

I have a stripped cam tensioner on my 78 xs1100. I can't find any on ebay or thru "parts n more" , does anyone have a good extra or know who can supply one?

Thanks,

Jim
    78 XS1100
    just bought...
    previous rides: 76 CB750 & 1988 Ducati Paso

You might want to send andreashweiss a private message. I believe he might be your best bet.
    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

I'm pretty sure I have one.

They can be fixed with a 6x1 mm helicoil kit if you don't want to replace it.

Comment

Hey Jimmy,

You might also want to look at this thread/tech tip!?

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...+tensioner+mod
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yes, I looked at that mod but I was hoping to avoid it. I would feel more comfortable bolting on a replacement. I might take me a lot longer to make that mod the first time around. I'm not sure how I would know when the bolt is applying the correct amount of pressure.
          78 XS1100
          just bought...

Comment

Mine stripped and I replaced it brand new from yamaha for 50 bucks CAN. price included a new o-ring, lock nut and washer, but yamaha does not make the screw anymore.

They told me it would take 6 weeks to arrive, so I just used a helicoil in the mean time.

The gasket I made from high temp header gasket.

Works like a charm.
            Stock XS1100LH 1981 Midnight Special

Comment

Wow, time to buy stock in Yamaha. $50 and they don't even give you everything. Was it the Yamaha website or did you have to call the dealership?
              78 XS1100
              just bought...

Comment

Helicoil will make it better than new. Do NOT think it can operate safely with a stripped housing. I bent some valves that way once. You know... Tighten the bolt until it begins to get easier and stop??? Bad and stupid thing that I did because it of course slipped to a looser position and held it there.

Originally posted by Ehdrian View Post
                Mine stripped and I replaced it brand new from yamaha for 50 bucks CAN. price included a new o-ring, lock nut and washer, but yamaha does not make the screw anymore.

They told me it would take 6 weeks to arrive, so I just used a helicoil in the mean time.

The gasket I made from high temp header gasket.

Works like a charm.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                X