Tuning up... 79' xs special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning up... 79' xs special

I just traded an old jeep for my bike a few days ago and the more I think about it, the more it seems proper to just run a complete tune up and freshen up the bike.

I am in the midst of rebuilding the carbs, but is there a walkthrough out there to do a routine check-up on your bike? And how to do these things.

This seems like a great forum, I'm just not the best at getting the information I need out of them, if somebody could point me in the right direction that would be great!

I put about 130 miles on the bike and it has loads of power, but I'm sure has potential for more after the carb job and proper tuning.

Other than the carbs, I have noticed only a couple other mechanical problems. The rear brake lever sticks down and you have to release the brake by putting your foot under the lever and lifting up.
    The other is when you reach high rpm. The clutch gives out. I would say close to 7500 or 8000 but the tach is delayed and bounces in a 500-1000 rpm range. This isnt high priority for me I am more of a cruiser but sometimes I get a wild hair and this is a problem for them moments
    1979 XS1100 special

For tune up info, go to the very top of the page. "XS11 INFO" choose "Tech Tips", then "Maintenance". There is also "Repairs" and "Modifications" to read through.
    The clutch can be the oil or the clutch springs. If you don't know how old the springs are, replace them. They are only about $15.00 for a set, and can make a world of difference.
    Welcome to the board!
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I would not suggest riding again until you get that rear brake fixed! The pedal is lifted by the pressure of the return spring in the rear master cylinder. Take that thing apart and clean it out. You'll probably find some nasty-looking brake fluid in there. While you're at it, take the rear caliper apart and clean there too. Be sure to remove the piston and clean out the groove UNDER the o-ring. If the rear is that bad, there is a good chance the front is the same. Might want to take a few hours and just re-build the entire brake system. Be careful not to use anything but clean brake fluid on the rubber parts, and only Brake Parts Cleaner on the metal parts. Check the spooge holes while you're in there too.

Just remember that it's MUCH more important to be able to STOP than it is to be able to GO.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Hey there Skyhead,

When I was recently working on Bigge_Al's XJ, we found that the return spring had popped out of the slot that the end of the spring fitted into, and so it had no return spring pressure! , Secondly, you can take apart the rear brake lever...take off the pedal, remove the MC plunger from the end of the arm by removing the cotter pin, shaft, and remove the brake light switch spring. Then you can slide the pedal shaft out, clean it and the housing up, and then put grease on the shaft/housing, reassemble, and the pedal should return to normal unpressured position. A good bleeding of the system would be the first step, before tearing into the brake components!

Before you tear into the clutch case, you will want to look at the tech tips for the clutch lever adjustment procedure, it's under the large round cover with 2 screws on the clutch case...dry chamber! That also may be set too tight, and readjusting it may help alleviate the high rpm slippage!?
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
        X