Carb questions. 79' xs 1100 special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb questions. 79' xs 1100 special

So I just tore into the carbs tonight on my 1100. I was getting a bad leak when the bike sat and just recently, fuel was leaking back into the airbox and dripping off the bottom of a couple of the carbs. It did it while I was riding so parked it and tore the carbs off to rebuild. I was just going to soak them and clean everything.

Every Idle-mixture screw tip is broken off and stuck. I found a thread on how to remove the broken tip, but do I also need to buy new idle screws? I didnt plan to buy rebuild kits but its looking like I may have to.

I also ran across a few threads mentioning how important float adjustment is. This sounds a bit over my head, do I need to take the carbs into my local shop and have the floats adjusted?

I just got this bike a few days ago and I'm not sure how well it was maintained.
    1979 XS1100 special

one more question...

The header pips is a 4 into one design. It is obvious the bike has been bottomed out and the very bottom pipe is pinched pretty thin. Is this a serious issue? The bike seemed to run fine. But I have also never rode a tip top running xs 1100.
    1979 XS1100 special

Comment

Originally posted by skyhead View Post
      I was just going to soak them and clean everything.
      Do not soak the butterfly seals in cleaner, it will ruin them and they are an extreme PITA to remove and replace!! All metal/brass is fine to soak though.

Every Idle-mixture screw tip is broken off and stuck. I found a thread on how to remove the broken tip, but do I also need to buy new idle screws? I didnt plan to buy rebuild kits but its looking like I may have to.
      Based upon your description of the fuel leaking, you need new float valves and seats. I would also get new mixture screws to go with them. Also, there is a method of freezing the carb to get the tip out as well.

I also ran across a few threads mentioning how important float adjustment is. This sounds a bit over my head, do I need to take the carbs into my local shop and have the floats adjusted?
      It is not difficult. Simply take an old credit card and cut opposing corners out to the depth of the limits of the float height making a go-no go gage (got this tip from a fellow member, very good tip). If the height needs adjusting, simply bend the tab that operates the valve a bit to make the adjustment.

The header pips is a 4 into one design. It is obvious the bike has been bottomed out and the very bottom pipe is pinched pretty thin. Is this a serious issue? The bike seemed to run fine. But I have also never rode a tip top running xs 1100.
      I'd see how the cylinder on that pipe runs and adjust from there.

HTH
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
        Do not soak the butterfly seals in cleaner, it will ruin them and they are an extreme PITA to remove and replace!! All metal/brass is fine to soak though.
        goodness! Just went outside and took the remaining 2 carbs out of the solution.. Hope the other two are okay. they soaked for about 30 minutes a piece.

This is the rebuild kit I was looking at... $70 for 4 kits, does it seem to have everything I will need to fix the leakage problem, and a good fresh overhaul?

You will have to get in more detail with me on the credit card technique. I have a hard time picturing things unless I see a step by step picture guide or very detailed instruction lol!!
        1979 XS1100 special

Comment

If the kit is from Georgefix on ebay, and he said it's for a '79 Special, it's the correct kit. The jets will be for a stock bike, and yours should be one size larger, or a 140 main jet. If you send him a note, he will set up a correct kit IF you think you need it. Most of the time, all you really need is the needle and seat, bowel gasket, and mixture screws.
          For the credit card, just think about cutting it into an "L" shape. The long leg of the "L" is 1.1", and the short leg is 3/8". The bottom of the long leg should only be about 1/16" wide, but that is ONLY at the very bottom. it can have the 1/16" with a notch 1/16" wide, and then the rest of the leg, about 1/4" wide up from there. It is like putting a notch into a board to go around a corner. Hope That Helps....HTH.....
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Carb Seals

If you need butterly seals, you can get them from Mikes XS. It is a PITA, but it's not really hard to do.
            78 XS1100E Standard
            Coca Cola Red
            Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by foreda View Post
              If you need butterfly seals, you can get them from Mikes XS. It is a PITA, but it's not really hard to do.
              Hi Skyhead & welcome,
              before I read the list's advisement against soaking carbs with the butterfly seals in place I'd already soaked mine for a 2 hour bath and gotten away with it. With only a 1/2-hour soak yours are most likely still OK.
              If you do decide to replace your butterfly seals you will also need to get replacement butterfly retaining screws.
              The screws have their tails peened over to stop them vibrating out and getting sucked into the engine so you will need to carefully drill or Dremel the tails off the old screws to get them out and to really carefully peen over the new screws on assembly.
              BTW, the XS650 carb butterflys & screws from MikesXS are identical to the XS11 ones (as are many of his XS650 parts) but don't say you need them for any bike other than an XS650. The catalog plainly states that his parts are only for XS650s. I think it's a liability issue.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I'm still having trouble trying to picture the float guage. I have made a make shift diagram on paint. Tell me if this looks correct?

And after I get that made. What measurement do I use? Where should the floats be set at?

1979 XS1100 special

Comment

bumpety bump bump bump
                  1979 XS1100 special

Comment

I interpret it more like this...

It is like putting a notch into a board to go around a corner.
                    Look at that... Building 2 houses, an addition, and having my own drywall business for a year came in handy.
                    Last edited by xs11bobber; 08-22-2009, 02:40 AM.
                    Josh Yoquelet -- I'm having dreams of my XS
                    '79 XS11SF "stock"- 4/1 Kerker, T.C.'s fuse block
                    '79 XS11SF "bobber"- Rotted in a pine tree for 10 years
                    '81 Air forks w/23,000 miles
                    New steering head races and bearings
                    '78/'79 standard wire harness
                    Drag bars, w/Mikes controls
                    T.C.'s fuse block
                    PNM Coils
                    7mm Dyna Wires
                    NGK Resistor Caps
                    Custom 1" clutch and 9/16" MC

http://xs11bobber.tripod.com

Comment

I took an old credit card, or hotel room key I forgot to turn back in and cut notches in the opposite corners to so that the one side was the maximum height per specs and the other was the minimum height per specs. A go-no go gage. Either Geezer or Skids gave me the suggestion and it worked perfectly.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

One thing to watch is the float tabs, they can become "dimpled" by the float pins. Even with new pins, they can hang up in those dimples, causing a fuel overflow. Just a very light sanding to smooth them out.

Comment

Working...
                        X