Dampening straight headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dampening straight headers

Is there a way to dampen straight headers? I have seen in some pipes, things installed in the opening of the exhaust that dampen them a little. Is there anything I can do to just the header pipes (looks like they were cut off just before the exhaust by previous owner) to make them quieter, so I don't get a ticket...

Thanks,
    -Rick
    1979 XS1100 Standard

Hi Rick,
    as I understand your post, the mufflers have been sawn off but you still have the 2 into 1 joiner then a stub of pipe with saw marks on the end on each side?
    How much money do you want to spend?
    Dennis Kirk has new MAC 4 into 2 XS11 exhaust systems for ~$325.
    You can sometimes find used stock & aftermarket systems in good shape on e-bay but the sellers tend to want serious money for them. Or Andreas Weiss who sells XS11 parts on this list is a gentleman to deal with.
    Or if you are cheap like me, automobile exhaust pipe adapters, hose clamps, used mufflers from a bike breaker and some support strapping will quiet the bike down for less than $100.
    The exhaust dampers I think you are talking about are for shoving up a Harley's 2" straight pipes to quieten it down without spoiling "the look". They need at least a foot of straight pipe to go inside of and are performance killers besides.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

A muffler is the ONLY way to quiet down the exhaust noise. You should be able to use Fred's advise, and find a pair of used HD muffles cheap. If you want to keep the four pipe look, try picking up four small single mufflers and some flex pipe. You should be able to put something together for about $150 to keep it quieter. If you want it to look nice, expect to pay about $350 to $500 for a new system or to have yours "fixed" by someone who knows what they are doing.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

let me clerify...

I have no exhause on it at all. There isn't anything on there at all except just the header pipes (goes down under the bike and are cut off after that...)

Anyway to dampen these?

-Rick
        1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

I understand, but the ONLY WAY is to repair or replace the exhaust system. Sorry....
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Okay thanks fellas!

-Rick
            1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

You might want to check out Ebay Item number: 300332466964. All you would need is some type of muffler for these, they seem like a good pair of headers. If you know a good fab guy he might be able to make you a custom exhaust...? Good Luck!
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

What I had done

My brother is a welder and her used 2" fencing "chain link fencing poles" to extend the cut off portion then I bought the 4" baffles off E-bay and slide them in the pipes. Then I used black grill paint and paint the entire pipes. Total outlay on my part was less than $20. But I had my brother do the welding and he had the fence post laying around. EL Cheap-O. Before the baffles were put in my bike was really loud it is still loud "to me"(Hence the name Echos) but I could have gotten longer baffles. You could call aound to fencing companys they may let you have pieces left over from jobs. I think mine were around 2 18" pieces.
                Eric (South of Greensboro, NC)
                82 XJ1100 "Echos" Mostly Stock
                Matthew 4:19 "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men"

Comment

Originally posted by Clerek View Post
                  let me clerify...
                  I have no exhause on it at all. There isn't anything on there at all except just the header pipes (goes down under the bike and are cut off after that...)
                  Anyway to dampen these?
                  -Rick
                  Hi Rick,
                  there's always a way, but getting a custom exhaust system built and welded to those existing 4 stubs will cost you way more than buying a used (or even a new) replacement exhaust.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                  X