How do I fix broken mufflers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I fix broken mufflers?

I went on a dice run a couple of weekends ago and started hearing a different sound from the right side of my 80G. I looked and found that the muffler outer shell had cracked all the way around just a couple of inches after it started flaring off the header. I then noticed that the left side has started to crack too (same area). What's the fix?
    Last edited by tjhummer; 07-28-2009, 10:07 AM.
    80G XScitant XStreme

"Don't ever give up, don't ever give in, and don't ever read the owner's manual."

-- Red Green

Bikes I have owned --
    '68 Honda 90
    '74 Yamaha Enduro 125
    '75 Husqvarna 250CR
    '85 Kawasaki KLR250
    '80 Kawasaki KZ750H1 LTD

two options, either take it to a muffler shop and have them weld it for around $20 (or do it yourself, ok three options really) or get a new exhaust system. You could also cut them off and run noisy straight pipes.
    1980 XS11SG
    Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
    Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
    ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

No good on-the-bike fix.

Hi TJ,
      what BigDick sez but you gotta take the system off to get a good weld.
      No matter who does the weld you can't get at the bike side of the of the crack with the muffler on the bike.
      If you take the bike to a muffler shop they will NOT want to weld anywhere near a gasoline-dripping motorcycle.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Most likely will not be able to weld 'em due to the rust and really thin metal. As mentioned, aftermarket system or do what I did, pair of mufflers from JCW, two exhaust reducers from Pep Boys and 'bout 2 hours labor. Unless you know the bikes, the JCW mufflers look stock and you can use the OEM hanger points. No carb adjustments needed, sounds good and looks right. Yea, I know post a picture, I'm working on it. PM me if you want details.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Buy ya a fancy camera.. and you still can't take pics.

Do we have to wait on you to get another disposable one?

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I just had my whole right side FALL off the header when I removed it to get into the tranny this last weekend. Russ79 set the 2 pieces on his tailgate and welded it right back together for me.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Derwat has welded a couple of sets. I don't think the thin, rusty part bothered him at all.
              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
              X