Buffing Chrome header pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffing Chrome header pipes

Recently I have been trying to buff things .The aluminum comes up really nice with this green compound I got locally .
    The chrome exhaust is another story . I have dark black blotchy stains on the header pipes that I thought were just bluing . This stuff wont come off .
    Any ideas ?
    XJ1100K
    Avon rubber
    MikesXS black coils
    Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
    MikesXS front master
    Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
    Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
    Progressive fork springs
    CIBIE headlight reflector
    YICS Eliminator

Simichrome from your local bike shop.. and elbow grease.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Anybody ever try "Blue Away"? The stuff is expensive.

http://www.eastwood.com/blue-away-bo...html?reltype=2
      79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box
      79 XS1100 SF - parts (for now) - "Divorce Maker II"
      79 XS1100 SF "The one that got away" sold in 1993.

Comment

Blue Job

I watched a vid on youtube about "Blue Job" power for this purpose but I have not tried it .
        This black stain that I thought was bluing seems to go deeper . I am using an angle grinder and very fine compound but its not touching it just making it shiny
        XJ1100K
        Avon rubber
        MikesXS black coils
        Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
        MikesXS front master
        Progressive fork springs
        YICS Eliminator

Comment

Originally posted by Axel View Post
          This black stain that I thought was bluing seems to go deeper . I am using an angle grinder and very fine compound but its not touching it just making it shiny
          Maybe you bumped it into something, and bruised it!
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

I polished my headers this way

Hey Axel,

Three hours of work but worth it:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16563
            Nubee

Comment

Blu-Away is your best bet.........least that's been my experience. A little pricey at $17 a bottle, but works very well..........small dab and alot of elbow grease.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I've heard many people say the Simichrome works better than the blue-away... but can't say this from personal experience.

Your black spot may be a rust spot all the way through though and no polish will help that. If it is baked on tar or rubber though, the Simichrome dissolves that with light rubbing.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

OK you can see by my signature how I feel about shiny objects.The blue job and the simichrome stuff works ok but save your $.If you don't own a buffer wheel use mothers metal polish and some 000 steel wool.Rub it on and keep rubbing until it turns black.Walha!!They will get shiny.Now that being said if you do own a buffer wheel pull the headers and buff them out with some rouge.1/2 hour and they look like new. Terry
                  1980 special (Phyllis)
                  1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

I have used Simichrome and Blue Job. The results for the Blue Job were a bit underwhelming. I took the pipes off and had a few hours on them with rust remover and chrome polish and they came up looking fairly good. The trick I found was to completely clean off all the buffing/polishing/ cleaning compounds with lacquer thinner/ alcohol/ water etc. before running the bike. Otherwise the hot pipes fry the residue and make things messy again. A lot of my "oxidized chrome" turned out to be a lot of "oxidized burnt stuff" on what was otherwise good clear chrome...

Comment

Same same

I am using the very same green compound as Nubee . I use a cloth wheel on my angle grinder . My black spot may be rust as it is tenacious .
                      XJ1100K
                      Avon rubber
                      MikesXS black coils
                      Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                      MikesXS front master
                      Progressive fork springs
                      YICS Eliminator

Comment

Working...