I did mine by raising it with an engine hoist. Took the tank off and tied ropes around the stem and... voila! It is similar to the rafter lift.
We actually had to lower it some to make it more comfortable for the arms.
how do you 1 man flip the beast?
Collapse
X
-
Very nice! That was a fun read.Some light reading on another forum about my adventure into repairing my XS's tranny problem.Leave a comment:
-
-
-
Laying on the floor is just about the only downside to that. The shop light (if you even need it) sits on the floor, shining up into the tranny. The parts are what you hold (in both hands), and there is no dripping, since it all drained into the oil pan which you already removed. I figure that since you don't have to worry about moving/damaging any of the mirrors/controls/fairing/windshield/accessories on the top side, laying on the floor is a much better trade-off.TC and I just did the repair and I would not even consider doing what we did with the bike right side up. Me and TC layed the bike on its side and then using a 2X4 and I lifted it up and TC guided it. If you are married ask you wife to help or get a buddy to come over to help with the flip. Laying on the floor under the bike holding a shop light, parts, and tools (opps that 3 hands) is very difficult. Plus the constant dripping of fluid that is left over after draining the engine.
Leave a comment:
-
can't promise I won't swear
especially now that I had such a hard time flipping it
well will try to hold the profanities until the unflipping
thx for the tricksLeave a comment:
-
Flip that bike
TC and I just did the repair and I would not even consider doing what we did with the bike right side up. Me and TC layed the bike on its side and then using a 2X4 and I lifted it up and TC guided it. If you are married ask you wife to help or get a buddy to come over to help with the flip. Laying on the floor under the bike holding a shop light, parts, and tools (opps that 3 hands) is very difficult. Plus the constant dripping of fluid that is left over after draining the engine.Leave a comment:
-
That last 1/4" IS the hardest part. Bigfoot and I discovered that having one person on each side helps, especially if the person on the left side of the bike has a small rubber mallet to bump it into place. Worked perfectly for us.
Leave a comment:
-
I have always done it on the centerstand. Hardest part is getting the counter shaft back in but after doing it a couple times, that wasn't even that hard.Leave a comment:
-
I have to agree with CatatonicBug as well. DGSXER and I did mine with it on the center stand and had it swapped out actually fairly quickly. Just remember, don't curse at it, talk nicely to the bike and things will go much smoother. :-) Honestly, I think what helped alot with getting mine back in was when trying to get it to slide in that last quarter inch, wiggle the back wheel a little bit. When I did that, it just clicked right into place.Leave a comment:
-
Agree with Catotonicbug..........way easier as you use the shift fork shaft to hold 2 and 3 fork up out of the way while putting shaft assembly back in.Leave a comment:
-
don't jinx me now
tell me what to watch for please
cuz it took 3 to do it niftly
finallyLeave a comment:
-
I guess it might be easier in some ways to do the tranny fix with it upside down, but IMHO, I much prefer doing it right-side up. The shift forks might try to fall out, while you're trying to put them back in, but gravity is actually your friend once everything is set. I did it twice on the side stand, and once on Russ79's bike lift (this last weekend) - once for each time a gear went out. No problems with it right-side up.Leave a comment:
-
That cooler is toast. I had to pull it at a friends house about an hour north of here last Sat. It was spraying a fine mist of oil all over the front of my engine. And wouldn't you know, I didn't zip my tail bag pocket and lost the adapter somewhere
Ohh well, don't really need an oil cooler in California anyway
Leave a comment:
-
I was in traffic dreaming yesterday about those ss lines, please don't mentionLeave a comment:


Leave a comment: