interchangable parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interchangable parts

Anyone know of a way to tell which parts are interchagable. I would like to know for sure before buying parts. Yamaha may have multiple part #s for the various bikes but still be using the same part. Did a search but not much luck yet.
    '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
    Original except:
    120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
    4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
    Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
    All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
    Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

search the links forum on here.
    there is a link to an english gentle man who has done exactly this.
    he is an xs11 man like us
    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/DSC00009.jpg
    1980 XS1100 Std English Assembled, 378k miles
    In stock untouched contion.
    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/seatside.jpg
    1979 XS1100F Std NZ new,
    Mikes XS coils
    Jardine 4-1
    Pod filters
    Harley Davidson Rear Fender
    Bullet signal lights
    Twin 75mm headlights
    Self made single seat

Comment

UK site

OBTW, I searched the XS Part finder site but it appears that the site relied fully on Yamaha's # system. Case point - the final drive assy from 750 and 850 will fit so-so.
      Original except:
      120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
      4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines

Big John

Comment

Hey John,

Yamaha changes the part numbers..the prefix when they make a change to a part to fit a specific model/year bike. When you look at the Yamaha Part #'s for the 78, ie. the carb vacuum slide, you'll see a 2H7 prefix, but when you look at the 80-81 series the number changes to 3H5-xxxx IIRC, it may have the same ROOT number which means it's the same type of part, but the prefix tells you that it's a changed part, and in fact with the carbs, the slides are different, bigger in the later carbs, and they are not interchangeable!

There's isn't a big database of interchangeable parts, just mostly post/threads where folks have found that this certain part will fit that model, etc.! SO...it's best to come here and post a question, or first look to see if someone has already posted about cross fitment of a part.

The 750/850 FD's fit because someone took the time to test fit them, they are not direct swaps, some minor mods are required as covered in the tech tip, and if you noticed, they probably had the same root number for the same type of part=FD, but the prefix is different=different make/model!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks

I guess I was hoping for a easy out. The English has put a lot of effort in what he has and it is a big plus. The main two issues I have is finding a good set of forks and seat to fit a MNS. Anyone know the direction I need to take?? Looks like the special seats could be made to fit, but I am lost on the forks.
          Original except:

Big John

Comment

John,

Are you talking about just the upper tubes?? The upper tubes for all of the specials, 79, 80, 81 and 81MNS are the same part numbers! Even though the lowers of the 81MNS are the same design as the 82XJ, they use a different upper tube number, different tube cap and valve assembly, might be other differences??

If you want to get NEW, check out the links forum, there's a thread about Forks By Frank...you'll pay a bit over $200.00, but they will be brand new!
            T.C.

PS, the 80-81 special seats are the same as 81MNS!
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC,

That helps a lot!!
              Original except:

Big John

Comment

Fred 78XS1100E

g'day John,
                I bought a Yamaha Xreference disc 2 years ago from "www.zedder.com" on ebay for a few bucks. I've used it extensively and though it might not be the end all it certainly has 95% of what you need.
                You can email the guy at "steve@zedder.com" if you can't find it elsewhere.
                I highly recommend it if you search for parts online regularly.
                Ride Hard, Party Often
                Fred
                Patriots Australia

Comment

Working...
                X