what's in your cyclesound pod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's in your cyclesound pod?

I just won a cycle sound pod on ebay and need to stuff it with goodies.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=370231147239

I ride/park in the rain so I need to be rain proof. (I use a wal-mart bike cover at home but I ride in any weather) I assume they are 4"speakers. I also assume I need boat or waterproof speakers like these:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200364428643

I plan on putting small boat speakers on the trunk also.
    I have been toying with getting a marine stereo:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170339883609
    but if I get a flip-cover, I can probably get any stereo.
    Or maybe put the flip-cover on the radio above and stick the remote on the right locking (vetter) compartment cover.

If I dig out the "2 shaft radio" opening to install a CD player, how do I mount the radio?
    What speakers do you suggest?
    If I need an antenna where do I find one of those rubber ones?

So guys, what's in your radio pod and if you had it to do again what would you put in it?

Hey there again PINK,

I had just typed a several paragraph long reply complete with links to a couple of brands like Clarion and JENSEN, but my laptop went poof and the power died...have to fix the cord , so I'm retyping, but you'll just have to do a net search for those brands. Both offer MARINE or HEAVY DUTY type players that are single din(single space) sized decks with CD players, tuners, but are a bit pricey at $250.00 but also $200.00.

That Ebay seller needs to edit his description a bit, most folks don't want to have to hook up 60 speakers a 4watts each! I did a search a while back when looking to replace my double din deck for my cage, and found that BOSS brand didn't have a very good production quality control...found where many folks had trouble with them and even with a returned exchange unit! YMMV!?

Just FYI, CD's are quickly becoming old technology. Newer players can now play MP3 CD-roms, which increases the song capacity of each disc from 15-20 for standard AUDIO CD's to 100 or so with MP3 formatted discs, however you still have to carry around bulky CD's. Yes, these have AUX inputs, but you still need an external MP3 or iPod to plug into and play, cables, etc.!

The unit I found had built in SD card and USB flash drive capability, and the SD card could be 2GB's, that's 300 or more songs, and much more compact in the media size! Same for Flash drive. Just something to think about when doing your search!

ALSO, the XS's charging system is marginal, can barely produce enough juice to run just the OEM stuff, ignition box, lights, turn/brake lights, and adding extra power drains can stress the Reg/Rect's causing them to fail, as well as keep it from actually generating enough to keep the battery charged!!

You might want to look into the tech tips for the LED mods for many of the lights, can free up several amps for running an aux device like the stereo!?

Another option that has recently come to "light" is swapping an XJ ALT onto the XS, for the latter years at least, it's plug and play, and you get about 5 amps more power vs the XS's! See recent threads on this topic by 81XSProject!
    T.C.
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
      Hey there again PINK,
      Just FYI, CD's are quickly becoming old technology. Newer players can now play MP3 CD-roms, which increases the song capacity of each disc from 15-20 for standard AUDIO CD's to 100 or so with MP3 formatted discs, however you still have to carry around bulky CD's. Yes, these have AUX inputs, but you still need an external MP3 or iPod to plug into and play, cables, etc.!
      T.C.
      T.C.
      I use an iPod but plan to have an MP3 CD with 11.5 hrs of "biker" music

Comment

here is the direction I'm leaning:

stereo with MP3 cd, weather-radio, USB, controls iPod and has a digital wired remote
        http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MARINE-BOAT-...3A8%7C294%3A50
        the only drawback to this is no "AUX in" but with USB and iPod, i could live.

2 speakers in the cyclesound and 2 more somewhere else:
        dipped chrome 4" bar mount speakers from patriot audio
        and also the 4" marine speakers listed below that on this link
        (I assume a 50W speaker can handle 55Watts)
        http://www.marinavox.com/moto/html/pastore.html

I want to put the extra speakers somewhere around the trunk but I don't want to clean bugs off the screen. that makes me lean towards a demim sleve with a draw string to keep the bugs off or just mounting them up front somewhere.

any ideas or comments from those who have "been there/done this"?
        Last edited by pinkelephant; 07-26-2009, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Hey PINK,

It doesn't say it in it's description, they are calling it BRAND X, but they say it's Pyle USA, so checked on their web site, see this item below:

http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail....&model=PLDMR23

The specs seem identical, the pictures also, but what PYLE says is that this is a 1.5 DIN sized deck, note the ebay dimensions of thickness at almost 2 inches. Check your Sound unit's height/thickness, I think you'll find it about 1/3 thinner!? What I'm saying is that I don't think that unit will fit in your system's stereo slot!?

They state it puts out 60 watts max, but that's with maximum distortion, they don't provide the RMS value......warning Will Robinson!

Also, you want to use speakers that are rated at 2 times the output value of any amp.....ie. an amp rated at 20 watts RMS power will have peak outputs due to peak music signals of 40 watts...but it won't necessarily be as clean/undistorted sound....and can cause damage to speakers if they can't handle the peak inputs!!

Also, not sure why you want to hook up all 4 speakers on a bike!? Back in '76 I put a pair of 5-1/4" speakers inside my SHOEI bar mounted fairing on my TX500A, with my Pioneer 8-track/Supertuner, and a 40 watt per channel GraphEG in the saddlebags, and folks told me they could hear the stereo as I approached long before they could hear the engine!

Even though most stereos now have 4 channel output, you can adjust the front back fader to all one way or the other so you only need to drive 2 speakers....the ones up front which will be the only ones you will be able to hear when riding!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey PINK,

It doesn't say it in it's description, they are calling it BRAND X, but they say it's Pyle USA, so checked on their web site, see this item below:

http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail....&model=PLDMR23

The specs seem identical, the pictures also, but what PYLE says is that this is a 1.5 DIN sized deck, note the ebay dimensions of thickness at almost 2 inches. Check your Sound unit's height/thickness, I think you'll find it about 1/3 thinner!? What I'm saying is that I don't think that unit will fit in your system's stereo slot!?

T.C.
            heres one that should do
            http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...5/product.html
            Chassis dimensions: 7 inches wide x 7 inches deep x 1.96 inches high

Comment

Hi there pinkelephant...........Any of the newer cd players will JUST fit after cutting face all the way out. I'm using an Alpine CD pushing Polk All-Weather at 200watts max output. Works very well at interstate speeds with no speaker distortion.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Also, not sure why you want to hook up all 4 speakers on a bike!? ...the ones up front which will be the only ones you will be able to hear when riding!
                T.C.
                I was thinking the same thing... No need for rear speakers. The wind rushing past your bike will carry the sound behind you, and you'll never hear the sound from the rear speakers. I recently saw a Vetter trunk that had been modified with speakers on the SIDES of it. I can't imagine the benefits of that layout though. As far as the sterio itself, you'll definitely want something you can turn on/off and adjust with a touch of a button, rather than the turn of a dial. The vibrations of the road and the the sensitivity of the rotating dials makes it almost impossible to pay attention to the road and still switch stations/tracks. Let us know what you finally choose, and how it works for you.

The antenna should have come with the cyclesounds box, as it was part of the unit, I believe. You might be able to find one at a bike junkyard or elsewhere on ebay.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

I just put a Pyle PLMR19W Marine head unit in mine. It's 4x50watts and is made for marine applications.

It doesn't have a CD player, it plays from SD/MMC (Micro-SD w/ adaptor), USB or AUX in.

The 'W' also means this one has Weather band, in case you want to find out where the rain is.

I bought 2 4" Pyle marine speakers as well. They sound good, but don't do bass well at anything over 65% volume for Quiet Riot, or that sort of thing.

I could add 2 more speakers in the trunk area, if I can find a couple decent looking pods to mount them.

I just used a stand 'rubber ducky' style antenna from an auto store, and a 4' extension cable to mount near the trunk.
                  Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                  '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                    The antenna should have come with the cyclesounds box, as it was part of the unit, I believe. You might be able to find one at a bike junkyard or elsewhere on ebay.
                    I just found one, NOS, if you're interested. Only $20!
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Actually, the rear speakers help a lot, because they double the output of your stereo system.

Also, the rear speakers are for the enjoyment of your passenger.

Since I don't think that a motorcycle, zipping down the interstate, is a suitable environment for open air, hi-fidelity listening, at the best of times, the speakers are more for listening while your running around town, and/or to amaze all the passers-by.

You know, just like those really cool guys with 1,000 watts of subwoofer you see, or hear, all the time.

It's not like you can even use your bike at beach parties, to provide the sound system, since the stereo will run about 1/2hr on a battery charge. Unless, of course, you remember to bring your booster cables.
                      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

OK I just got my eBay cyclesound pod in the mail. It's in perfect condition. all original foam too. it even has the blue sticker on the bottom with the mounting instructions.
                        It's alot lighter and of thinner materials than I expected.
                        I ordered a 16" rubber duckie antenna. I wanted a real antenna because I live in the middle of nowhere but I didn't think the pod was strong enough.

If I dig out a hole for a CD player, how do I mount the player so it wont move.
                        I was thinking of mounting it to the flip lid and assuming that gravity and a little silicone would do the rest.

Marine radio
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Waterproof housing (W/Support Shelf In Rear Of Housing For Radio)
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AMEWAX%3AVRI

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          Hi there pinkelephant...........Any of the newer cd players will JUST fit after cutting face all the way out. I'm using an Alpine CD pushing Polk All-Weather at 200watts max output. Works very well at interstate speeds with no speaker distortion.
                          I just bought some polk speakers on eBay. they were waterproof and the mounting screws go thru speaker covers from outside.
                          Polk DB401:
                          http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB40...01.html?tp=102
                          video review:
                          http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...07DB401&tp=102

Thanx Motoman. I was about to clear-coat some wal-mart speakers.

Comment

sorry bad link
                            polk db401
                            http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=C...3Fi%3D107DB401
                            http://www.shopwiki.com/_Polk+db401+...al+Loudspeaker

Comment

A word from the curmudgeon

Hi Pink,
                              put that thing back on e-bay, you don't need no steenkin' noisebox when you are riding. Modern music will send you deaf and the classics will lull you to sleep. Concentrate on where you are going and on the hazards that surround you, the life you save may be your own.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X