surfin for carbs on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surfin for carbs on ebay

My carbs r working but some prior owner didn't think the pins holding the floats should move and grinded them up till they didn't move. it's my 1st motorcycle carb cleaning and even I knew that was dumb. I got 3 off but #3 carb was stuck and I had the bad idea of trying to bend the float off the pin and bend the new float back on. in the middle of that the top of the mount that holds the pin (upside down top or the end of it or whatever) broke off one side. I replaced everything but the #3 float and the pin was still stuck. It doesn't wiggle and the old float is happy and free. I closed it up and called it good. since the bike ran much better and has been good for 2,000 mls, I'm happy for now. I am looking for dirty carbs on ebay to tinker with or good carbs if I like the price.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #1) what year carbs will fit my 81-H and what other carbs will fit with new jets. what jets do I want.

#2) Is $225 too much for this guy to Ultrasonic Clean my carbs: (Since I'm not parked, I will probably clean and rebuild them myself)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190323522616

Hey Pink,

Any carbs from any year will fit any XS/XJ11, but they are different between the 78-79 and 80-81,82 series. Since you have the 81, then you might want to look at other 80-81 series carbs to be able to get and use the more expensive parts...ie. vacuum slides...they are different sized for the later years vs. the early years.

It's always cheaper to do things yourself, it's not uncommon to pay $50.00 a carb for complete tear down, cleaning, reassembly, not to mention the fancier ultrasonic cleaning. However, his $325.00 buy it now price is rather rich!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I just found the jetting sizes
      http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73

Comment

If they are ultrasonically cleaned they will be clean but if they were not put on a bike and road tested I would not claim they are good to go. The butterfly seals could be bad. Or someone could have used a drill to remove a pilot jet and went to deep and ruined the carb body, replaced the jet and you wouldn't know until you try it on a bike. Been there. Not knocking anyone. Just sharing thoughts/experiences.
        79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
        79 SF parts bike.

Comment

IIRC the XJ series carbs have a different type of choke/enricher assy and would require alot of fiddling to make that work.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

I'm looking (on eBay) at 1980 carbs with a broken float ear on #3. If my no 3 is my bad one, will the others #2 fit in my #3 position?

Comment

I've never tried it personally, but I believe the #2 carb is the one that is unique for the set, as it has the vacuum tube for the fuel control. #4 MIGHT work in the #3 position, but I'm not certain on that...

Als, if you're gonna spend that kind of money to ultrasonic clean the carbs, spend it on your own ultrasonic cleaner! That and some Simple Green will do wonders for your carbs.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

If you're going to spend that kind of dough I'd start looking for a set of newer carbs.Something a little more modern cr,smooth bore etc...There's a lot of stuff out there.Terry
                1980 special (Phyllis)
                1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Originally posted by tw1980 View Post
                  If you're going to spend that kind of dough I'd start looking for a set of newer carbs.Something a little more modern cr,smooth bore etc...There's a lot of stuff out there.Terry
                  I'm trying not to spend alot of dough
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Comment

You should give SS 2 wheel (cycle salvage in Arthur) a call. (217) 543-3505. His prices are pretty comparable to what's out there on eBay. He's got a ton of XS11 stuff and I'm sure he had numerous set of carbs.
                    '81 H XS11 Standard.

Comment

Working...
                    X