79 sf parts bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 sf parts bike

Picked up my 79sf parts bike the other day. 2 hrs. 10 min. to get there. 3 hrs. 15 min. to get home. Traffic, blah. Stop and go, 10 mph, for a mile or so. Then take off to 60, nothing around to cause it. Did that 3 times. Just people. And some wonder why I’m a hermit. Anyway, I bought it for a spare engine, $100. Thought about bringing it back to life but its pretty rough/rusty. Instruments are gone so no idea of mileage. The guy said they road it up and down the road, changed the oil and now no spark. Gee, never heard that story before. No battery, ignition switch, TCI, seat or carbs. The front calipers are froze up, I pried them off the rotors so I could move it around, turned them outwards and stuck the bolt back in so they aren’t hanging by the hose. The rear master cyl. is in a box so no brakes. Start button was gone so I swapped the horn button, the left control was so rusty I destroyed it getting the button out. I jumped the ign. plug in the headlight bucket , put on a spare TCI and hooked up one of my RV batt. w/ jumper cables. Cranked but no spark. Spark plug coils had power. Tried to check the pick up coils w/ meter, oh sure, meter isn’t working. Ok, checked the wires by hand on the pick ups and sure enough both wires on the top coil are broken. Laid bike on its side so it’s easier to work on. Hit the button and look at all the spark. Didn’t know one set of pick up coil wires broken would cause no spark for all spark plugs, but I guess so. Gave each cyl. a shot of ether, put plugs in and varuum. That gave me a smile. Didn’t even blow smoke. Had to add a little more than 2 quarts of oil to be in sight glass. Put on a set of carbs, filled the lines w/ gas, didn’t bother w/ tank. Cranked it up, rolled it out of garage and down the driveway I went. Cranked on it and the rear tire broke loose and started throwing gravel. Yeeehaaaa. Get to the end of the drive, 600 ft., and it dies. Glad my drive is fairly flat. No batt. remember. Push it back to garage, top off the gas lines, jump it again and down the drive I go again. Get to the road and oh crap no brakes, good thing no cars were coming. Cranked on it in 1st and 2nd, both gears seem to be good, might be a diff. story on pavement. Idles great, runs great, no smoke, no muffler on 4-1, loud but sounds good. Makes me want to put that pipe on daily ride for a day or two. Day 2. Not even a drop of oil on the floor. The bike has the Special “markings” round headlight, turn signals, handle bars, forks, kick stand, rear fender & shocks and tail light but it has a 17” rear wheel and the # on the engine is 2H7. No # on the frame. Doesn’t really matter to me. Looks like I got a good running engine.
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

Red...
    That is WAAAAYYYYY Cool! Sweet! Good score on the broken wires!

Kinda sucked for a second when you realize you forgot all about no brakes, I bet! Serious case of pucker???? He He He... (laughing WITH you, buddy, not at you!) I could see me doin' that easily... (shut up Tod...)
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

While preping it for storage I was trying to find something to plug the intake ports. The lid off a milk jug fits perfectly.

79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
      79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Working...
      X