battery warning light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery warning light

In the tech tips it states to use a 2000 ohm resistor 1/2 watt. Could not find one at radio shack. Can I use 2 1000 ohm resistors in line?

ed

You SHOULD be able to find a 2K Ohm resister. If not, try a 1.8K ohm. Either one should work. The other way of trying it is with 2 4K ohm resisters in parallel. That will give you 2K across them.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

resistor

The local radio shack didnt have one. I bought a package if 1000 ohm resistors thinking i could install 2 of them in the wire.

ed

Comment

Hey Ray,

I'm no electrical guru, but I thought my understanding of basic resistance is that it's additional when in series....like the Ballast resistor which is 1.5 ohms, and the 1.5 ohm coils which has a total of 3 ohms resistance which is what the TCI needs to see!

SO...two 1000 ohm resistors in series should work the same as two 4k ohms resistors in PARALLEL. I remember being informed about 2 parallel loads puts 1/2 the resistance vs. a series load.

ZX11..if you have an ohmeter, wire the 2 resistors together and test them with the meter, I would expect it to read close to the 2k value.
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
          Hey Ray,

I'm no electrical guru, but I thought my understanding of basic resistance is that it's additional when in series....like the Ballast resistor which is 1.5 ohms, and the 1.5 ohm coils which has a total of 3 ohms resistance which is what the TCI needs to see!

SO...two 1000 ohm resistors in series should work the same as two 4k ohms resistors in PARALLEL. I remember being informed about 2 parallel loads puts 1/2 the resistance vs. a series load.

ZX11..if you have an ohmeter, wire the 2 resistors together and test them with the meter, I would expect it to read close to the 2k value.
          T.C.
          Yep, that's the way it works, except for parallel resistance is a little more complicated than that.
          Last edited by oseaghdha; 07-25-2009, 06:00 AM.
          XS1100SF
          XS1100F

Comment

Actual value is not that critical...seems there is a lot of leeway. A 2.2K Ohm works just as well.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
            X