anyone know how to remove footpegs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone know how to remove footpegs?

Just the footrest part, I want to leave the mounts on the bike. Do I need to drill out that pin, or grind one end off? Don't want to screw it up and suffer several days downtime trying to make it right again. I have footrests from a 500 Virago that looks like a direct swap. The Virago pin has a cotter pin in it, nice and simple. Looks like the XS pin has been riveted or something??
    '80 SG
    '79F engine

Stick a jack under the rear of the motor and take just a bit of the weight off. A 17mm nut on one side and a 17mm bolt head on the other. Take the nut off, slide the bolt out.. (Goes all the way across from one side to the other) and the pegs fall to the floor. Install the new ones, slide the bolt back through and tighten the nut back up. Should take 2-3 minutes maybe?? If you still want to mess with the pins and stuff, then they are right there in front of you on a bench.. not trying to work on them while on the bike.

Nothing in there spring loaded or gonna bite you. Just pull the rear mount.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
      Just the footrest part, I want to leave the mounts on the bike.
      Hi Hawkins,
      Just find a nice twisty road and ride back and forth ,dragging the pegs, until they are ground down to the size you want

trbig has the correct answer ofcourse but mine is what came to my mind when I read your post.
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

He's talking about taking just the footrest off, leaving all the rest on the bike.

You will likely have to grind one end off the pins, then use the virago pins with cotter pins .
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Craz is right. Having just done it, you will have to grind one end of the pin (rivet) off and replace it with a new pin and cotter (split) pin.
          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I understood that he wanted to leave the pegs on... but I was trying to point out how simple it was to just remove them instead of doing all the pin replacement stuff on the bike.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100

Comment

Thanks guys, grinding the pins is what I suspected had to be done. The Virago mounts don't fit the XS, so I have to remove the pin and just replace the footrests, but it probably is as easy to remove the whole thing from the bike to work on it.
              '80 SG
              '79F engine

Comment

this sounds like a good swap. does anyone have pics of the finished job??
                '96 Kawasaki ZX11, bought February 5, 2015

'79 Kawasaki LTD 1000, bought Oct 19,2010.....sold Sept 12, 2013

'81 XS11 Special, bought May 6, 2010.....sold Oct 19,2010

'79 XS 11 Special, bought July 3rd, 2008

'78 XS11 Standard, bought July 2, 2009.....sold Aug 25, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Schweer View Post
                  this sounds like a good swap. does anyone have pics of the finished job??
                  I didnt change mine for another model, just repaired some accident damage with the original bits.
                  1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                  2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I'll post pics assuming I don't throw a match in the tank before I get the pegs done! The more I do the bigger a POS this bike seems to get!
                    '80 SG
                    '79F engine

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                      Stick a jack under the rear of the motor and take just a bit of the weight off. A 17mm nut on one side and a 17mm bolt head on the other. Take the nut off, slide the bolt out.. (Goes all the way across from one side to the other) and the pegs fall to the floor. Install the new ones, slide the bolt back through and tighten the nut back up. Should take 2-3 minutes maybe?? If you still want to mess with the pins and stuff, then they are right there in front of you on a bench.. not trying to work on them while on the bike.

Nothing in there spring loaded or gonna bite you. Just pull the rear mount.

Tod

Tod, that's the easiest way around it for sure. Remove the mounts, drill out the rivet and make the swap. The left side works perfect but the right side doesn't - the peg will go down but not up, which is no fun at all.

Oh well, back to the search for a set that will work.
                      '80 SG
                      '79F engine

Comment

the peg will go down but not up, which is no fun at all.
                        Come ride some twisties with me, and we'll get that thing to go up!

Tod

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
                          The more I do the bigger a POS this bike seems to get!
                          ...Amen to the biker gods on that one

Persistence will conquer in the end my friend. Don't give up.
                          Josh Yoquelet -- I'm having dreams of my XS
                          '79 XS11SF "stock"- 4/1 Kerker, T.C.'s fuse block
                          '79 XS11SF "bobber"- Rotted in a pine tree for 10 years
                          '81 Air forks w/23,000 miles
                          New steering head races and bearings
                          '78/'79 standard wire harness
                          Drag bars, w/Mikes controls
                          T.C.'s fuse block
                          PNM Coils
                          7mm Dyna Wires
                          NGK Resistor Caps
                          Custom 1" clutch and 9/16" MC

http://xs11bobber.tripod.com

Comment

Working...