former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Yes, stupid me. I tried the thicker gappers and when they didn't go I thought that there was no gap there since it looked like that. When I went back and tried the other ones they slid under. Now the math to figure what I need to do is a whole new bridge to cross.
      78 XS1100
      just bought...
      previous rides: 76 CB750 & 1988 Ducati Paso

Comment

No math needed

If you have a manual (if you don't then get one, member Catatonic Bug has them hosted on his web page listed in his signature) it has a graph /chart that works really well at determining what shim you need. You just need to know what your gap is and what your current shim is.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmyshifts View Post
          Yes, stupid me. I tried the thicker gappers and when they didn't go I thought that there was no gap there since it looked like that. When I went back and tried the other ones they slid under. Now the math to figure what I need to do is a whole new bridge to cross.
          no math involved
          http://www.xs1100.co.uk/engexh.htm
          I assumed that was from this site. I just noticed that a british site.

Comment

damn, I took a closer look at that brit site. they said the XS was never sold in the UK. they are fixing rusty bikes with parts (forks, brake calipers and such) from other bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkelephant View Post
              damn, I took a closer look at that brit site. they said the XS was never sold in the UK. they are fixing rusty bikes with parts (forks, brake calipers and such) from other bikes.
              quote from the brit site:
              V reg is right for the Year of bike ?? "1991" is the year it was issued with a uk registration after being imported at some time (they were never officially sold in uk) and given an age related plate to it's approxamate year of manufacture (1980,,, V ) 1980 LG ,,4H3 Straight spoked wheels

One guy used pistons from a Jag.
              and then this one:
              "Their next mod was to replace the XS cam buckets with kawasaki ninja flat-topped buckets which happen to fit the yamaha. The kawasaki buckets have tiny shims underneath. That mod lightens the valvetrain and gives you more top-end revs safely. Held back on that mod, but may do it eventually"

I'm glad we can find what we need over here. AL

Comment

Hi Al,
                The xs was sold in the uk, only the models were slightly different,
                the midnite special was only sold in the states, the uk had the martini,
                the us special is similar to the sports model sold here and in the uk.
                There were also other models sold just cant think of what they are off hand,.
                pete

new owner of
                08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                zrx carbs
                18mm float height
                145 main jets
                38 pilots
                slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
                X