Top Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Speed

I got a 79 xs special that has 160 on the speedo and I saw 1980 xs that has 80 mph for a top speed on the speedo. I know they started detuning the xs in the eighties but was it detuned that much. Or was it just for show, it seems to me that you could peg the speedo in first gear.

I had a 1200 bandit that would do 92 in first, I'm not sure what my xs will do yet since it is a basketcase. Probably not 160, even if it could, I wouldn't want to do it.

Also as I side note, I did the experienced riders course that the military is requiring. If anybody is wondering they don't teach you anything new. It is essentialy the basic riders course rehased. Beats going to work though.
    Sanders

03 RE Bullet 500 POS
    02 Suzuki Bandit 1200N
    06 Yamaha Warrior
    02 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    01 Buell Thunderbolt
    77 Yamaha XS750
    79 Yamaha XS1100 Special

The later bikes got the 80mph speedo to satisfy the government.
    I did notice that after I put the 160 speedo on my 80 special that it went faster than 80mph.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

In 1980 ALL speedometers had an 85 MPH max. That was the era of the 55 MPH national speed limit. The bikes will do about 135 MPH, in perfect tune down a slight hill. 125MPH is an easy number to reach with about any XS/XJ1100.
      I can cruise all day at 85, and the bike is happy. I can ALSO cruise at 110 all day, but it's hard on ME!
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

As a reference, my 80g bagger came with a 85mph speedo. I have since changed it to a early model 160 unit. With 2-up on a full bagger, 117 has been indicated during a high speed pass on the early model speedo. (I have the kidney bruises from the tail gunner to prove it). With one up, an indicated 121 was reached before the wobble got to bad. I have no doubt a naked XS11 even in a mild state of tune could reach 130 with a little tank hugging. I think most people would run out of little dangly things before reaching that speed. I have often times "cruised" at a C note on the speedo and still had some pull left.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

92 mph in 1st gear?How could you get it off the line?Was your bandit geared for Bonneville speed record or am I just behind the times?Will a zx14 even do that?Where have I been?Somebody enlighten me.Terry
          1980 special (Phyllis)
          1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Speed

LOL my CBR1000RR would hit the fuel cut off at 98 in first gear fastest ive done was 168 according to my gps that was enough for me........
            79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
            80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
            06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
            2000 Concours
            84 Kawi KLR600
            79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
            79 XR250
            Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
            John

Comment

Damn, and I thought 90mph in second on a 83 GS1100 was fast... I really am a Geezer...

Originally posted by Paintman View Post
              LOL my CBR1000RR would hit the fuel cut off at 98 in first gear fastest ive done was 168 according to my gps that was enough for me........
              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I've had an indicated 215 km/h (133 mph) on the dial on my 80SG, but as Ray highlighted, it was in ideal conditions, Loooong, Flat, straight road and a slight tail wind. Scared the crap out of a mate on his Ducati when I flew past him. Scared the crap out of me too.
                1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Back when they were new, I was working at a Yamaha shop out in BFE Oregon. A guy brought his pretty new FJ1100 in for the 600 mile service and told me to take it out and see what it would do after I worked on it.

For a guy like me (or I was then) that was like a license to steal. Anyway I wound it out in the first 4 gears and it was reading a little over 140 wound out in 4th but I was out of straight road and I knew I couldn't take the upcoming curve over 40 mph so I shifted it into 5th and let the revs drop and got on the brakes.

I know the new sport bikes are even faster but that's the most G forces I've ever felt during acceleration.

The guy totaled the bike a month later and the insurance adjuster tried to talk me into buying it. I figured if a (then) 40 year old couldn't resist the temptation, the 27 year me didn't have a chance... At over 50 I'm thinking maybe I could now...

Geezer
                  Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Well now

Ivan swears that I was doing 130+ on Thunderpig during a recent poker run. The fellow on the '08 1600 Vulcan says he was doing 120 when I went past him.

All I know is that my '80 special has more power than I have sense. Not a great combination,.............but it sure is fun!
                    Lee aka trainzz

I am my inner child!!

I have no idea how you managed to make that connection within your brain, but I applaud whatever cellular mutation just took place.

1980 XS11 Special-"Thunder Pig"
                    1980 XS11 Special-"Crazy Trainz" (project bike)
                    1979 Xs1100 Standard ( parts,parts,parts)

Comment

With one up, an indicated 121 was reached before the wobble got to bad.
                      Take those chrome caps off your swingarm and tighten those nuts up like a wheel bearing. Tight-ish.. but not really tight.

Most of the speedos on these bikes are off considerably. Even more so at the higher speeds. Get, or borrow, a GPS and check your speed versus your speedo.

My neighbor has a GSXR 1000. They are EXTREMELY fast everywhere... Top speed... 1/4 mile. He can do a little over 130 in 1st gear. He only gains a few MPH in each subsequent gear though. With my 750 final drive, I can do @ 70 at redline in 1st.

To answer your question though, No. The speedos are no indication of how fast something is. All the vehicles.. cars trucks etc.. had the 85 mph speedos then. The later bikes weren't de-tuned very much. The fastest I've had my bike since I had my GPS was 132mph indicated. A lot more accurate than a speedo.

Tod
                      Last edited by trbig; 07-23-2009, 07:46 AM.
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by Paintman View Post
                        And I thought my bike was fast.I just got a hard dose of reality.I had no idea the modern bikes are that much faster and more powerful than mine. I feel like I just had a midlife crisis.Now I can only see something transformer looking and encased in plastic in my future.
                        1980 special (Phyllis)
                        1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

I just got a hard dose of reality.
                          Like TWICE the HP of your bike from a fuel injected motor that is in a bike that ways weighs close to half of ours? Yup.. welcome to the 21st century.. lol.

I always got a kick out of taking the motor out of my bike where it looks like a skeloton.. then realizing that with it sitting there like that, it weighs just about the same as his complete bike's dry weight.. lol.

Tod
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Fast

I used to sell Kawasaki Bikes,A 636cc rr weighs 380 lbs and has 128 hp it red lines at 15500 rpms. I had the front wheel in the air at 108 mph shifting out of second gear into third and topped her out at 178mph on the speedo. Keep in mind that there are rockets out there now putting out 170 HP so our poor old 11s are not quite in the same class. That being said they will still be running long after that 636 is gone.
                            Doug
                            Doug Mitchell
                            82 XJ1100 sold
                            2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                            2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                            1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                            47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Originally posted by mitch View Post
                              I used to sell Kawasaki Bikes,A 636cc rr weighs 380 lbs and has 128 hp it red lines at 15500 rpms. I had the front wheel in the air at 108 mph shifting out of second gear into third and topped her out at 178mph on the speedo. Keep in mind that there are rockets out there now putting out 170 HP so our poor old 11s are not quite in the same class. That being said they will still be running long after that 636 is gone.
                              Doug
                              What's up fat man? Still drinkin blue? You know a man that rinks blue will well you know. I lost your card or would have emailed ya.
                              dp
                              "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                              1981 LH

Comment

Working...
                              X