XS 650 battery with this wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS 650 battery with this wiring?

I wanted to save a bit of money and use a 650 battery my brother bought for his bike a couple months ago. It would only be until I got a REAL one. I just want to save a bit of money to spend on other things I still need for my bobber... Here's the wiring diagram I am using for the bobber.

I have heard that it works but I just wanted to make sure...It hasn't been started since I got it and now it's all apart and I want to be sure it isn't going to be another problem I try to fix, that ends up being something I did wrong...

-Rick
    1979 XS1100 Standard

One more thing, that the diagram doesn't have...

I am making led arrays for the tail lights, signals and running lights...and I have an H4 headlight.

-Rick
    1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

You'd just have to compare the ratings of the two batteries. Not sure what the ratings are for the 650 battery, but I know that the charging system on the XS's is rather weak, so if the 650's battery is smaller, you may run into problems.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

The '78 wire diagram should work for the '79. You do NOT have an "ON/OFF" switch for the headlight on the '79 right control, but that is it. The battery SHOULD work for about a year, plus or minus. The 650 twin used a BIG battery for the engine size because of the power needed to turn the starter motor.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
        X