Electrical Gremlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Gremlin

The problem is this, when started the tail light and the front turn signals don't immediately light up, matter of fact they don't light up on starting. Oh yes, I can signal okay. But if you step on the rear brake pedal the tail light comes on and as more pressure is placed on the pedal the light goes out. The stop light works fine when I used the hand lever for the front brake. Fues are o.k, the grounds "look" fine. Could use a little advice tracking down this "gremlin"
    Bob M.

Hello I don't know if your 81 H has the connector like mine but i would disconnect it and look at the pins and where they go into.Might be dirty and need to be cleaned out.Try spraying some electrical cleaner inside of the connectors.
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Originally posted by macla1100 View Post
      The problem is this, when started the tail light and the front turn signals don't immediately light up, matter of fact they don't light up on starting. Oh yes, I can signal okay. But if you step on the rear brake pedal the tail light comes on and as more pressure is placed on the pedal the light goes out. The stop light works fine when I used the hand lever for the front brake. Fues are o.k, the grounds "look" fine. Could use a little advice tracking down this "gremlin"
      Sounds like the rear brake llight switch is bad/dirty. Try taking it off and spraying contact cleaner into it and working it in and out. It's a slide switch and could make contact at part of it's travel and then stop making contact because of corrosion on the contact surfaces. Even just working it in and out might help, but contact cleaner would help in any case.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Yeah 2nd what Cy posted.Sounds like you have a switch problem.If cleaning doesn't fix problem check the wires,also you can check the switch with an ohm meter.Terry
        1980 special (Phyllis)
        1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Working...
        X