Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical problem or main fuse?

Hi all,

I had to cover the last 200 miles of an intense trek covering over 1,000 miles around Upstate NY and New England, without headlight, turn signal nor rpm gauge and instrument cluster lighting. Fortunately, since it was getting dark, my hazards and rear taillight were functioning (but not the brake light).

Of course the first thing I checked was the fuse panel (right side) which revealed no fault.

Since my shop manual is of no help in this matter, what other checks should I perform before taking the bike apart?

Thanks,

Puzzled...

B@tm@n

B@tm@n - I checked my Haynes manual, and it looks like all four of the items you mentioned have connections in the handlebar switch. I'd start by taking it apart and making sure the connections are good. Over time they get pretty cruddy inside.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I would look at the electrical connector behind the fuse block. There is a big white plastic connector there that connects the alternator to the battery. It gets corroded and heats up, melting the connector and shorting out. The Tach is connected to the alternator, so it tends to be an indicator.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

i just had the same problem dont check the fuse check the fuse connection. for me the signal fuse clips lost their strength and broke.....real easy to check, with running grab onto the signal fuse and wiggle
        when in doubt...get a bigger hammer
        '78 XS11e, '79 XS11sf,'81 Mazda RX7, '83 XJ650lj Turbo, '95 Ford F150, '93 Chevy K2500, '04 Honda Pilot,
        '89 Arctic Cat Wildcat, '89 Arctic Cat El Tigre 530, '81 Arctic Cat Trailcat 340, '79 john deere trailfire 440,
        '78 Cadillac Seville
        Don't steal the government hates competition

Comment

Thanks for the quick response!

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
          B@tm@n - I checked my Haynes manual, and it looks like all four of the items you mentioned have connections in the handlebar switch. I'd start by taking it apart and making sure the connections are good. Over time they get pretty cruddy inside.
          I'll look into it!

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
            I would look at the electrical connector behind the fuse block. There is a big white plastic connector there that connects the alternator to the battery. It gets corroded and heats up, melting the connector and shorting out. The Tach is connected to the alternator, so it tends to be an indicator.
            I'll be checking that too!

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
              Originally posted by ScottsXS View Post
              i just had the same problem dont check the fuse check the fuse connection. for me the signal fuse clips lost their strength and broke.....real easy to check, with running grab onto the signal fuse and wiggle
              Another helpful clue. I should be running my machine in no time now!

Comment

Electrical problem solved

Hi all!

Well, turns out the issue was in a way worse than we all anticipated!

Due to my limited tooling, ressources and experience I had no other choice but to hand over my prized possession to a trusted shop here in Quebec City.

Fortunately, the head mechanic is an old acquaintance who's been there for nearly forty years (he started at age 16!). He confided that very few people could have located the fault which was in part due to the age of the bike and its dated and complex electrics.

Bottom line, all that was needed was a main relay and to be safer he replaced the old fuse panel with a more modern and reliable version.

While they were at it I had all the oils, engine, trans, diff, changed. All this for $350. Not cheap you say? Maybe, but saving hours of frustration and riding before the cold season, that's priceless!

Thanks again to all who make owning an XS11 such a unique experience. And thanks for caring for your fellow riders.

B@tm@n

Comment

What's a "main relay"? Must a terminology mixup, but I'm just trying to picture the repair in my mind.

Glad you got it all sorted out, and now you won't have to worry about your fuse block anymore! Do you know if the mechanic moved the main (30amp) fuse to the new fuse block too? Some people forget that one.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

There's a starter relay (the little square box near the fuseblock that the positive battery cable runs to), and there's another relay under the gas tank on a rubber mount. Was it one of those that was replaced?
                    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                    X