Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need details on air box mod, please . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need details on air box mod, please . . .

running pods on SF, airbox on the G, but have two complete air boxes. Have a K/N filter in good condition for airbox, too. I've heard of this airbox mod, but not sure what it involves. Can I get some help, brothers?

Thanks,
    Mike Farrington
    Suwanee, GA USA

Current: '80 XS11SG, '97 Vulcan 1500, '73 CB750
    Previous: '79 XS11SF, '80 XS11G, '81 XS650

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Are you meaning to revert back to the original airbox from the pods?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Some of the boys have drilled the bottom of the airbox
      to allow more air in, is that what you were after?
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Mike,
        The airbox "MOD" is drilling some holes in the CENTER of the air filter area through the bottom of the air box. The design of the airbox is such that the "dirty" air is in the center, and the largest part of the airbox, that on the outside of the filter, is "CLEAN" air. I have about 9 1/2" holes drilled in the bottom center of the airbox. This will make the engine just a little louder, as you can now hear the carbs sucking air. It will also allow some "hot" air into the carbs, but with less restriction.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I drilled two ..

1 1/4" holes in the base of the airbox within the outline of where the air filter fits. The air filter still sits in it's 'perch' or slot but more air enters in the middle. Runs fine with the K&N or a factory style paper filter as well. Don't know how much performance gain there actually is, but with improved breathing, surely there must be some.
          80G Mini-bagger
          VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
          79SF eventually dismantled for parts
          79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
          79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
          79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies!

I am trying to figure out what I want to do. Are there any advantages either way, between cones and an airbox? Airbox looks classy, but pods look lean . . .
            Mike Farrington
            Suwanee, GA USA

Current: '80 XS11SG, '97 Vulcan 1500, '73 CB750
            Previous: '79 XS11SF, '80 XS11G, '81 XS650

Comment

I think the airbox is nice looking, and it DOES work well WITHOUT a jet change. My original '78 I drilled the airbox, and drilled four 1/4" holes in each muffler. I was able to run with any bike, and do it all day. I just think Yamaha got everything correct on the XS11, and a few SMALL changes are all thats needed for MOST of the bikes.
              I DO have a '78 that is getting an 1196 kit, plus crank work, plus head work, plus custom paint.....
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

It kinda depends on what is important to you. I am a bit of a purist when it comes to these bikes, and I try to keep everything as stock as possible, so I advocate the original Airbox. As Ray mentioned, with the original setup, there is no need for Carb jet changes, or other outlandish modifications. Once you switch to pods, you have to play with the jets to get it running right again. Of course, the benefit of pods is that it makes getting to the air filter and removing the carbs a LOT easier! However, with a little practice, I can drop the airbox and remove the carbs in less than 3 minutes. So, it really depends on what is important to you, and what your tastes are.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

I agree with Bug and Diver ..

Yammy got it pretty close to right. Only reason I drilled my airbox was that I had a K&N insert left over from the G, which got some PODS, and it seemed like the thing to do in light of the better flowing filter.
                  with a little practice, I can drop the airbox and remove the carbs in less than 3 minutes. So,
                  Gettin' 'em off ain't the problem, as I see it. Gettin' them back together is what bogs me down. I know it really doesn't, but it just seems like it takes forever sometimes to get them back together. Much worse even with the two cable system that I use on the G. Now I'm whining, aren't I?
                  80G Mini-bagger
                  VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                  79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                  79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                  79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                  79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Working...
                  X