Stoopid question#947, Mid-case, rearend fill plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stoopid question#947, Mid-case, rearend fill plugs

I was going to go ahead and change these fluids, the book and manual says that there are fill holes on top. My LH does not have an obvious bolt to remove, but a round one that looks as if you just twist it out using pliers. The rear end is fairly obvious, but the mid case it not. Is this the way it is supposed to be? I think I have the bolts identified, but the lack of a nut to wrench, or an allen to twist, hung me up, didn't know whether to flip or fly, to borrow from Sir Jimmy of Buffett.

Thanks
    '81 XS11 Midnight Special

Don't go twisting anything without an allen head - the two plugs start out with black rubber type protector plugs in their allen-heads.
    I made the mistake of twisting something off on my rear end, only to find out it was a breather...

The middle gear plug is on the left side and is prolly about the size of a nickel and takes, I believe, 6mm allen...could be 7, I don't recall. The final drive takes the same size allen and is about half-way down on the assembly, towards the back.

Hope I have helped more than I have confused
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Middle drive filler plug looks like this:
      [IMG]/forum/images/tips/20030607-dsc02185.jpg[/IMG]

If the allen socket has been stripped out, you can still get the plug off with a pair of slip-joint pliers.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Merci Beau Coup, Gentlemen!

Also for the speediness of the response, as well. Right now I am watching Monster Garage, and getting ideas, but will wrench tomorrow.

Comment

Yep, the plastic caps hide the hex very well on a midnight.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
          X