750 FD swap - Torque and no turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 750 FD swap - Torque and no turn

I got a 750 FD to install on Thunderstruck. It is from a 79 model. I went to install it today and found that as soon as I put even 40 ft pds of torque on the nut that holds the new washer on, the drive is VERY hard to turn on the wheel and impossible by hand. It was not like this before the washer swap. When I swapped the washer and filled the holes, I did not remove the pinion at all, I just pulled the nut and washer, added some black RTV and put the 1/2" flat washer on and the nut and tightend by hand. Let the RTV set and now when I torque things down it will not turn.

Do I have a bad FD? Did the RTV possibly get into the pinion and screw thigns up? any suggestions are welcome.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

No the drive is good. You just need to loosen the nut until you can turn the FD easily by hand. I had the same problem the first one I did. The second one, I just tighten down the nut until I just start to feel the resistance. The first drive was set up the same way, and has about 35K on it. I guess it's correct!
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hmmm, wonder if torqued mine down too tight. I made it pretty tight. Guess I will check it next time I replace the rear tire.
      Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
      '82 XJ1100
      '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

I don't any first hand experience with this swap, but I noticed that when I rebuilt the front end of my sf that torquing the wheel to stock specs, the wheel was completely locked. Same with the rear wheel. I did the same as Ray, which is essentially the same as setting up a dumb.....er, drum brake front spindle on an older car.
        Tighten till it drags, back off 1/8 turn and you're done. Now I'm sure someone's going to chime in and tell me that my wheels will fall off and I'm going to die....but that's what worked for me for what it's worth....
        '96 Kawasaki ZX11, bought February 5, 2015

'79 Kawasaki LTD 1000, bought Oct 19,2010.....sold Sept 12, 2013

'81 XS11 Special, bought May 6, 2010.....sold Oct 19,2010

'79 XS 11 Special, bought July 3rd, 2008

'78 XS11 Standard, bought July 2, 2009.....sold Aug 25, 2011

Comment

OK, Thanks Ray...will do. Thanks for all the input!! Laving for a week trip tomorrow so I wanted to wrap this thing up today.

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Uggghhh...Ok..I know there is somethign easy I am missing here. Trying to pull the drive shaft out. I can not get a vice grip to grab it, do not own a slide hammer, but do not see how you get ahold of it with one. Any one got a pictorial for the idiots like me on how to pull that thing out. Even Clymers just says "disengage it and pull it out the rear."

Thanks for any help for the uninformed and challenged.

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Don - I got mine out by prying with a couple of large screwdrivers. Once the circlip pops off it'll slide right out.
              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I pulled mine out with the help of tie wire, used for tying rebar,doubled wrapped around the end of the shaft. I left the wire long enough to slide a five to ten pound weight with a hole in to run the wire through over the wire and then wrapped the end of the wire around a wood 2x2. Then using the weight as a slide hammer it popped right out. HTH
                1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Got it

After spending hours packing a trailer of food, got home and read the great ideas here. Pulled apiece of 12 ga wire out and locked on with vice grips. few rubber mallot blows and out she popped. Now I just have to find my rubber o-rings back.

The 750FD is still just a bit notchy when I first try to rotate it. After it moves it spins fairly easy, a little noisy but I have almost no gear oil in it. So I am hoping once I get a few miles on it it will even out and run nice. Otherwise, I get to do all this again to put my original FD on. WOOHOO.

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Glad You Got The Shaft (out)

To Quote DiverRay if I may; " You just need to loosen the nut until you can turn the FD easily by hand." You just might need to loosen it enough that the notchiness just goes away. I used red locktite on mine when I put the nut back on as an extra measure of security. YMMV
                    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

DGXSER...

I've been told by a reliable source how important it is to get that torque just right... too tight and it will work for a while... but eventually spells catastrophe. (That was their experience talking.) They got theirs too tight, and it worked for a few thousand miles... then locked up going down the road.

Not sure I'd rely on the oil to take away the "notchiness" you're describing...

I'd hate to hear that same thing had happened to you.

But many others now have done this swap and know far more than I do about it.

I do know both John & Trbig have done the swap, and love it. Perhaps they can chime in.

Good luck, Don.
                      Bob
                      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Chime Chime Chime

I have found it difficult to actually torque the pinion nut back on, because it is difficult to hold the unit still enough to get a decent torque on the nut. I have an impact here at home, so I just zapped it until I felt it was tight enough, and went from there. I don't think that torque value is as critical as having the pinion gear shimmed correctly as to maintain the proper gear lash. If the pinion isn't removed from the housing, and the shims disturbed, then I don't think the torque on the nut is all that critical. After all it has been a few years now, and trbig and Wildkat, just made the I 35 corrider run to Bob Falters house in Iowa, with no problems at all, and I was involved in setting both of those FDs up.

Comment

750 FD swap

Hi DGXSER, I've had my 750 FD in for 3k now and still good. Had same problem with the torque on the pinion, so I went back to turning resistance of the pinion. type 1(750) is 10 to 15 inch lbs. to turn the pinion, unless you put in A new expantion sleeve you won't be able to get the proper torque. At least that is what I've found out.
                          Keep haven fun Paul

Comment

After all it has been a few years now, and trbig and Wildkat, just made the I 35 corrider run to Bob Falters house in Iowa, with no problems at all, and I was involved in setting both of those FDs up.
                            We (You) put that 750 final drive on when I had a different motor in the bike. I've got somewhere @ 30k miles on this motor since the rebuild with many hard miles and wheelies.. and not a single problem from the final drive done the way John explained.

Tod
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Paul nailed it. There is a crush sleeve between the two timken bearings on the pinion.

The torque value for the nut is assuming the use of a new crush sleeve. Once the sleeve has been crushed, you can not torque it to that value, it will give the bearings too much preload.

As Paul said, the only RELIABLE way to check the pinion preload is to use a bar type torque wrence and measure the inch pound rolling value. After setting enough of them up, I have a "calibrated elbow" that clicks when it is right.

In my experience (lots of car diffs, one XS FD )it seems that the nut is left a tad loose, so make sure the self locking feature is working well on the nut.
                              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                              X