Remote Start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Start?

Does anyone have a remote start set up? i am looking into it, and was wondering if anyone had any insight!

This one in particular...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-M...Q5fAccessories

Thanks,

-Rick
    1979 XS1100 Standard

I think the choke/enrichment circuit would make this difficult for cold starts.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Plus!, something looks too good to be true. less than 20 bucks for all of that circuitry and cables seems a bit far fetched to me."Caveat Emptor "

Comment

Need an automatic choke ...

just kiddin' ...
        choke/enrichment circuit would make this difficult for cold starts.
        Could just flick it out in advance, right?
        80G Mini-bagger
        VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
        79SF eventually dismantled for parts
        79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
        79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
        79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

I have a remote starter. I tell my daughter "go start daddy's bike for me".

Sorry, I could'nt pass this up.
          Mike Giroir
          79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Kinda like this nifty gadget....

BMW F800S Garage Door Opener
            Brian
            XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
            Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Kinda like this nifty gadget....
              Yeah, but what do you do once the opener has gone??? I've got two, but they don't work any more as they have flown.....
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Have to make another one then Ray.

Should be no problem for a man of your ability
                Brian
                XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
                Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

NO,
                  I figured out what was causing them, and got that fixed!
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

So the whole idea is not shear laziness on my part, but rather getting rid of the ingition all together. I will still install a switch "hidden" somewhere on the bike, but the primary method of starting the bike is going to be the remote. I will be by the bike everytime I start it, so the choke isn't the issue, it is connectivity. I am pretty sure that I can just integrate this into the new wiring I am doing for the bike, but was wondering if anyone had any insight into the installation of the remote start/alarm.

It is cheap-o, but I guess these things are pretty straight forward by means of what they are. I don't need something with a fancy LCD screen, so I think this will work for me. I really like the look of the remote, and the other wires will just be hidden...

Thanks Again!

-Rick
                    1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

I had a remote start on an old Ford Explorer. I loved it! However, the main reason for it was to get the heat/AC going before I had to get in and go somewhere. It helped for de-icing in the winter time, especially. For a bike, I dunno what the benefit would be. Having said that, what I would like is a keyless ignition switch, activated by a proximity sensor. I could mount the transmitter in my jacket or helmet, and the bike would just start when I got on it and hit the start button. I know these systems are out there, but it would be cool so see it done on our vintage bikes.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Hey! I like that idea!

I am trying to come up with a minimal EVERYTHING, so this is the whole idea for the keyless, but the proximity would be really interesting. A really cool challenge...

Thanks!

-Rick
                        1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

This link says it's $600 for the system. Looks pretty cool though!
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold
                          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                          -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                          X