trouble shift to 1st gear and carb trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trouble shift to 1st gear and carb trouble

having trouble shifting down to 1st gear sometimes. Also the best way to clean my carb 1 and 4 the exhust pipe is not getting hot as 2 and 3. Slow power when I was test riding after my elec. problem. Sat inside for 3 months. Thanks max

Max,

I would lean toward checking the coil, wires and spark plug caps for problems. 1 & 4 fire off the same coil.
    As for shifting into 1st, Has your clutch been adjusted properly?
    LuckyEddie
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
    1982 XV750J Virago
    1976 GL1000
    1978 GL1000 Supercharged
    1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Comment

Max, have you checked/fixed your pickup coil wires? Do a search or check the tech tips for all the details, could cause 1/4 to not fire all the time.
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

Might check the jets in the bottom of the float bowls as well. If they are clogged, they tend to cause issues with individual cylinders not getting enough fuel at warm-up time.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Hey Max,

Take a look at THIS LINK in the tech tips, will tell you about the shift lever return spring. When it gets weak, after you downshift, it doesn't always pull the shift lever all the way back up far enough to reset the shift pawl to grab the next pin on the shift drum, and so you keep pushing down on the shifter, but nothing happens!! Next time you're riding, and it won't downshift, gently pull UP on the shift lever, not enough to shift back into 3rd, just enough to let the lever reset, and then you'll be able to shift down, and that will essentially confirm that the spring is the problem! The others have already covered about the pickup coil wires, vs. your carbs!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

thanks for all the thoughts. Still not running right. I have soloid the broken wire ohm on the pick up coil went from 610ohm to 720ohm. I have measured the volt on wires orange and gray got 12vdc. I replaced the coils and spark plugs because the reading where 25k on the spark plug wires 1 @ 4 and 2 @ 3where all over the place. Have more power but I am still find after 30min ride the exhust pipe on 1 @ 4 still warm to the touch and now back firing. thanks max

Comment

Working...
            X