Swingarm Bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swingarm Bearing

I removed the swingarm bearings today, but was unable to get the outer races out. The bearings spin fine, and I intend on reusing them. I want to use aircraft stripper to remove the paint, and then repaint the swingarm. Can I just mask off the outer race, and then reinstall the bearings when I am done? If not, how can I remove these races?
    Dave
    1979 XS1100SF Special

Not sure about the swing arm but as they're tapered rollers i'd say you attack them from back, same as steering head bearings. Look thru the swingarm at the back of the outer race and you'll probably see a couple of cut away areas around the outer ring that you should be able to put a drift against and drive them out. If theres more than one cut away, tap slowley, alternating from side to side, to drive it out evenly. If i'm wrong or theres another method someone else will correct me, and put you on the right track. I'll watch with interest for my own info.

That said, there shouldnt be any problem with leaving them there. They're hardened steel so i wouldnt imagine your stripper is going to harm them too much. You probably wouldnt even need to mask for the stripping process, might not even be able to, as the stripper is liable to eat any masking tape. Mask before painting though.
    Last edited by b.walker5; 07-16-2009, 12:33 AM.
    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

If you are reuseing the bearings I would not remove the races just to spruce up the swing arm. Clean them up with solvent, blow dry and then push a ball of newspaper into all the holes (including the driveshaft tunnel) and tape up the ends. Then paint away.
      Mike Giroir
      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I would just coat them with heavy grease, and paint. Once done, remove grease and clean races with NO RUST.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks Guys!!! I stripped he paint, and I greased the races to protect them. I think that I'll mask them as well just for good measure.
          Dave
          1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Working...
          X