79 headlight on off switch...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 headlight on off switch...

i have read several timesthat the 78 and 79 came with an on off switch for the headlight on the handlebars... i don't have one...??? does anyone have a pic of what it looks like?
    i have my relay spliced so it'll come on with the key.
    thanks
    " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
    xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
    8mm msd wires
    tkat fork brace...
    Fox shocks...
    mikes650 front fender
    led's gallore...
    renthal bars
    gold valve emulators
    vmax tensioner
    Rifle fairing

The 78's had an on/off switch. It only works when the bike has not yet been started. Once it starts, the switch is bypassed to turn on the lights. If I remember correctly, if you disconnect the yellow wire to the relay, it will stop the bipassing allowing it to remain switchable (make sure about that...)

Originally posted by yamahansolo View Post
    i have read several timesthat the 78 and 79 came with an on off switch for the headlight on the handlebars... i don't have one...??? does anyone have a pic of what it looks like?
    i have my relay spliced so it'll come on with the key.
    thanks
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Here is a link for info on switching headlights.

http://home.comcast.net/~sidhansen/relay/relay.htm
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

i spliced the wires together at the relay and removed it. i have noticed tonight that when i pull my headlight fuse that it stays on and functions normally but when i pull the tail light fuse it goes off. so somewhere in there i am getting bleed over from the tail lights or blinkers???

i am in pensacola right now so i'll have to fix when i get home. i roder her down here the other day and it road great the whole way from north ga. only blew out about 1/4 a quart of oil if that. i did discover that my headlight was fried though... i pulled it out when i got my new phillips light and it had black swirls in it. this one was a candle power from yamaha. i don't know if i like the new one yet cause it looks like it doesn't go out to the sides as much. it has plenty down the road though. going around the curves are going to suck with this light i think???
        " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
        8mm msd wires
        tkat fork brace...
        Fox shocks...
        mikes650 front fender
        led's gallore...
        renthal bars
        gold valve emulators
        vmax tensioner
        Rifle fairing

Comment

Why would you bypass the relay in the first place? The headlight needs to stay on all the time anyway, so unless you just like to turn the headlight on without the engine, I see no need to bypass anything. Even if you did want the headlight on, you could just crank the engine to light the headlight, then hit the kill switch. That will keep the headlight on after the engine is off.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

i had to bypass it because the relay went bad... also i don;t need to turn it off mine starts right up with the headlight on everytime.

alot of people bypass the relay because of electrical glitches!
            i had a bad one a while back that i am still sorting out... most of the problem is gone though.

79 xs11 standard
            8mm msd wires
            tkat fork brace...
            Fox shocks...
            mikes650 front fender
            led's gallore...
            renthal bars
            gold valve emulators
            vmax tensioner
            Rifle fairing

Comment

Working...
            X