No announcement yet.

my new 1979 yamaha Xs1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep! We're a freight forwarder. The largest one based in the USA actually. Looks like we're competitors!
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

I live across the other border....another FIP..Indiana. Just south of Michigan City. Take lots of pictures when taking it apart. I have had the issue of not having time to complete a repair from start to end in one sitting. sometimes it takes months for me to get to a certain problem....which brings on another one..."how the hell/where the hell did this part go....". !!! Digital camera is my lifeline!!! it also helps describe an issue to the XS Gods at this site!!!
      '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
      Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
      4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
      Windjammer(wiring issues)
      SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
      New paint/brakes to come!!
      ===============
      '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
      ===============
      '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
      Stock Pilots/125 mains
      Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
      SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
      LED Brake Lite
      Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Originally posted by kevinbarzotelli View Post
        Hi Buddy
        i live in Fox River grove IL 60021
        Cel # 847 890 2208
        Kevin
        Kevin, I'm really close to you. I'm in Carpentersville, just a few miles to your south.

Eric
        Eric Roellig
        1980 SG w Windjammer V & KG hard bags
        **Very first bike**
        Current condition: Running!!! Lead, follow or get the #^%# out of my way!!!!!!

Comment

Atn: Eric

Call me if you ever want to me up
          Kev

Comment

Freight Forwarding

I hope this means we can still be friends..

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
            Yep! We're a freight forwarder. The largest one based in the USA actually. Looks like we're competitors!

Comment

New question,Old story

31 year old XS11 F standard has a few nags, just changed fork oil, may have to go back later for seals(belive thay are 37mm x 49mm x 8mm) but can't find a source for dust/wiper caps/seals got a pair but thay were clip in/on the lower tube wrong thing need the caps that fit over the lower fork, any help? Last thing is the fill plugs in the middle & final drive what size hex,torx, whatever does it take and after 31 yrs how do you get somethat is frozen out? This is my first post and sure it won't be my last, thanks in advance .

Comment

I am about 2 hours north of you near Milwaukee! There seems to be a whole lot of people in the southern WI and northern IL area we should all try and get a meet together sometime this year!
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Iron Duke, this worked for me.
                  Take some Kroil, and soak the plugs for a day.
                  Take a 6mm allen wrench, preferably a 3/8 drive socket kind, and make sure that it fits all the way down in. If it doesn't, dig out the gunk, and blow it clean. If someone has rounded out the flats, you may be screwed.
                  Take some oil, and squirt it on the aluminum around the plug. Then take a propane torch, and start heating the aluminum. Or better yet, take it for a ride till it is hot. As soon as the oil starts smoking, quit heating. That will be about 450 deg F. It will take a while if you do it with a torch, as the metal keeps sapping the heat away from the plug. If you want to really do a number, get some dry ice, and after the whole thing is hot, apply a small piece of dry ice to the plug, and then QUICKLY get the wrench in and proceed with the following.
                  Get a sharp flat faced pin punch about 3/8 inch in diameter, (With dry ice, you can soak the wrench in it so that it is cold. A quality wrench will not get brittle at that temperature.), insert the allen wrench, and start tapping around the edge of the plug, going round and round, applying torque. If you can get some one to apply torque while you do that, even better. Don't use big blows, just short sharp ones. You are trying to jar the threads loose, not deform the metal.
                  When they come loose, you will think you broke the wrench, 'cause there is an audible snap. Good luck, CZ

Comment

New question,old story

Thanks for the input your info will help I'm sure regards Duke

Comment

Just take a cold chisel and give it a whack. That will make a mark in it that you can now use. Take the chisel and set it in the mark you just made, slant it so that it will move the bolt in a counterclockwise direction and give it one hard quick shot with a hammer. I have used this trick many times even on screws and it gives it the shock that it needs to break the bolt free. Then simply use your allen wrench to remove it normally.
                      2-79 XS1100 SF
                      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

2nd gear issues

I recently purchased a '79 XS1100, immacutaley cared for. However, I too am experiencing the well-known (as I am finding out) second gear problem. I can put the bike in second gear, and so long as I do not accelerat too quickly, everything is fine. If, however, I do accelerate too quickly in 2nd gear, it acts as though the gear is stripped. I scanned the 2nd gear fix solutions in the Tech section of this forum, and though I am fairly mechanically inclined, it still seems a bit daunting (even with the great illustrations and narratives). So, in reality, is this my only option (apart from having a dealer do it)? I read somewhere on another forum that Yamaha may have made some provisions (parts, etc.) for this issue. All thoughts and comments are welcome.

DFDARLING

Comment

Originally posted by DFDarling View Post
                          I recently purchased a '79 XS1100, immacutaley cared for. However, I too am experiencing the well-known (as I am finding out) second gear problem. I can put the bike in second gear, and so long as I do not accelerat too quickly, everything is fine. If, however, I do accelerate too quickly in 2nd gear, it acts as though the gear is stripped. I scanned the 2nd gear fix solutions in the Tech section of this forum, and though I am fairly mechanically inclined, it still seems a bit daunting (even with the great illustrations and narratives). So, in reality, is this my only option (apart from having a dealer do it)? I read somewhere on another forum that Yamaha may have made some provisions (parts, etc.) for this issue. All thoughts and comments are welcome.

DFDARLING
                          Darling (sorry, just couldn't resist...), you have two choices; do the dremel fix as shown (don't bother asking a dealer to do this, they'll think you're crazy), or you can still source new, 'improved' gears from Yamaha that basically do the same thing. But these aren't cheap; at about $100 each (and you'll need two minimum), add in shop labor rates, and you'll be looking at a huge bill.

You might post just where you are, and there may be a lister close enough who's willing to help you with this. But lots of owners have tackled this with success, it's not as tough as you might think...

And welcome to the site...
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

NATEMOEN, Kevin, Eric, MRoss, RidetoXS

Hey!
                            Nates got a great idea!
                            Looks like we're getting quite a few XS riders in the N.Il- S.Wi area.

Let's plan a ride or meet some time this summer.

LAKE GENEVA would be a great spot. Lot's of bikes & great bars!

Consider It!

I've gotta think that there're more Xsves in the area than responded to this thread.

Kevin, as you get into the bike , remember Nates got a lot of knowledge about them & I've got quite a few spare parts laying around.
                            Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                            stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

I too am experiencing the well-known (as I am finding out) second gear problem.
                              If you take the bike to a dealer, (if you can find one to work on your bike) they will remove the engine and split the cases. The job will cost far more than the bike is worth, as previously stated. Since I wasn't keen on the "Dremel fix", I bought new gears. I managed to by all four for $200.

The job is a bit of a challenge as it took me quite a while to get the countershaft out, and longer to get it back in. Now that I know how to do it, the next one would be a snap. The hardest part of the job is just making the time and get after it. Just carefully follow the instructions in the tech tip.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X