my new 1979 yamaha Xs1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my new 1979 yamaha Xs1100

Hi guys i'm new to DIY mechanics ill be posting lots of questions i sincerely hope it doesn't bore the pants of you!(English saying) OK i have a few things to do on this bike so where are the best places to buy used and or new parts(i live in Illinois). Since the bike was made what problems have been found and ironed out? If this bike is air cooled how do you stop the bike from over heating in heavy traffic? As i don't know any service history on this bike, what things should i be doing first etc (service wise).Just so you know its mostly cosmetic stuff that need attention and the bike seems to be running well(I wanna keep it that way!)Any and all advice is welcome!

Thanks Kev

Welcome to the Forum!

I'm relatively new myself, just started to restore my '78 after 15 years of sitting. BTW, I'm just across the border in Wisconsin, so we may be somewhat close.

I never had a problem with overheating in traffic. I have heard that extended periods idling while standing still can do damage, but I never had any issues myself.

It seems eBay is a good source of parts. There are a couple spots in the Internet I found too, but others here know more than I.

Post a picture, let's see your wheels!
    1978 XS 1100 E Full Dress
    Patiently waiting to be restored back to life!

Comment

Welcome, to the world of the XS11

Air-cooled engines are designed to run in a very wide range of temperatures. Overheating is not usually an issue. You won't be heating it up too badly in normal city traffic.

If you live in a very warm climate, like the desert, you may want to add an oil cooler.
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Hey Kevin,

Welcome and congrats on your new find/acquisition!

BEFORE you turn any wrenches on your machine, please take the time to read thru the tech tips here!! There are certain procedures ie. the cam chain tensioner adjustment that if done wrong, can lead to very bad damage to your engine, bent valves, etc.!!

Find a reply or search the MEMBERS LIST for Catatonic Bug, he has links in his username/profile where you can download repair manuals for your machine.

One of the more common problems is with the transmission, developing a skipping or hopping out of gear in 2nd, or 1st under throttle, due to wear on the gear dogs/slots. A repair is described in the tech tips.

Another weak spot is the fuseblock, glass fuses, the clips, and it's recommended to replace it, again info on where to get one is in the tech tips. Eliminating other electrical gremlins is accomplished by disconnecting every electrical connection, inspecting, cleaning, and applying dielectric grease when putting back together to keep corrosion from recurring. Several main ground points, the battery to frame, also the starter motor to frame. Also under the gastank, the several wires screwed to the Reg/RECT, and it's casing to frame contact area. Also the large white connectors BEHIND the FUSEBLOCK, trace them from the ALT housing on the right side, can corrode, and actually MELT! The main ignition switch, as well as the handlebar switches also corrode! Also the spark plug caps and attachments to the wires.

There is a thread in the MISC forum on what to look for in a neglected XS.

You're fortunate that it's already in running condition. Many here have had to learn how to clean carbs the hard way! The fuel lines, the OCTOPUS if you still have one, the petcocks, are all possible problem areas. ADDING INLINE FUEL FILTERS is also highly recommended! Being able to ensure that the carbs float valves are sealing off the fuel flow is important in preventing unknown carb flooding while parked which can cause fuel into the intake, down the cylinders, into the oil and can then severely damage crank and other bearings!!

The driveshaft splines do NOT get properly greased by the ZERK fitting on the swingarm/final drive junction, needs to be taken apart and cleaned, greased by hand. Also changing all fluids, engine oil, middle and final drive oils, fronk fork tube oil, brake fluid is highly recommended. Middle gears running low or out of fluid can cause a LOCKUP, not fun at cruising speed!

Okay, that'll keep you busy for a few weekends at least!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

welcome yall.i never had an issue with my xj (god i miss her) but after a few years i did install a oil cooler.
          1982 XJ 1100
          going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
          now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Ask enough questions, and pretty soon you'll feel like you actually know what your doing when it comes to fixing your bike! (At least, that's how it worked for me!)

Seriously, though, there would be no way I would be able to have any kind of motorcycle without these guys. I'm about as far from mechanically inclined as you can get, yet I've pulled the carbs three (or four) times, tore them completely apart, put them back together, and the bike still runs! (Most of the time...) If you have a question, somebody here knows the answer.
            Currently XS-less.

Comment

Hey Kevin..Where at in Illinois might you be? I'm in Elk Grove Village

Comment

Hey, Kevin! Welcome to Ch. 11... and on your new bike.
                Follow what these guys tell ya, take your time... you won't regret it! They're great bikes!
                '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Welcome the to forum! Another midwesterner?! Are you anywhere near St. Louis? As it has been stated, you can get the manual from the link in my signature. Be sure to read, read, and read some more. You won't believe how much information is available on this site! If you ever run into problems, don't hesitate to ask questions (preferably BEFORE breaking something ), and you'll be glad you did.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Congrats! This is the best website going. Lots of help, no jerks and nothing but real neighborly help.
                    I'm only a few months ahead of you. Picked up an 80Special in November in needs of lots of help and am riding it daily now for about a month.
                    I'd still be scratching my head trying to figure some things out without these guys.
                    Have fun with it!
                    Bothell, WA
                    1980 XS1100SG

Comment

1979 Xs11

Hey Mate
                      Thanks for your response
                      i live in Fox river Grove ,IL 60021
                      Cell # 847 890 2208

Kevin

Originally posted by RidetoXS View Post
                      Welcome to the Forum!

I'm relatively new myself, just started to restore my '78 after 15 years of sitting. BTW, I'm just across the border in Wisconsin, so we may be somewhat close.

I never had a problem with overheating in traffic. I have heard that extended periods idling while standing still can do damage, but I never had any issues myself.

It seems eBay is a good source of parts. There are a couple spots in the Internet I found too, but others here know more than I.

Post a picture, let's see your wheels!

Comment

1979 Xs11

Hi Buddy
                        i live in Fox River grove IL 60021
                        Cel # 847 890 2208
                        Kevin

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                        Welcome the to forum! Another midwesterner?! Are you anywhere near St. Louis? As it has been stated, you can get the manual from the link in my signature. Be sure to read, read, and read some more. You won't believe how much information is available on this site! If you ever run into problems, don't hesitate to ask questions (preferably BEFORE breaking something ), and you'll be glad you did.

Comment

1979 xs1100

HI
                          I live in Fox River Grove , IL 60021
                          CEL # 847 890 2208

But i work in Itasca, Around the Corner from Elk Grove.

Originally posted by M_Ross View Post
                          Hey Kevin..Where at in Illinois might you be? I'm in Elk Grove Village

Comment

Originally posted by kevinbarzotelli View Post
                            HI
                            I live in Fox River Grove , IL 60021
                            CEL # 847 890 2208

But i work in Itasca, Around the Corner from Elk Grove.
                            Itasca? A bit far from my town, but my company has an office in Itasca. Ever seen a Phoenix International sign? Our corporate office is in Wood Dale.
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold
                            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                            -H. Ford

Comment

Phoenix int'l ? is that a freight company ?
                              i work for Dsv air & sea !!

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                              Itasca? A bit far from my town, but my company has an office in Itasca. Ever seen a Phoenix International sign? Our corporate office is in Wood Dale.

Comment

Working...
                              X