no headlight power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no headlight power

I have searched the past posts and threads and still cannot figure out why my bike has no headlight power!!! First off it's a 79xs11sf has the new fuse box,steel brake lines,k & n pods,I did the pickup coil fix.anyways I have checked everything it has no diode previously by passed from po.The problem started with two connectors in the headlight bucket frying out.replaced both dielectric greased the others.the bike starts fine has brake lights and turn signals and display lights just no headlight coming on after it starts like it did before.I have replaced the whole headlight from another sf that works.I followed wires checked all rewrapped wires/connections i an stumped and so tired of not knowing what to do next! Please... gurus work with me on this please!!! I'm at the point i just wanna duct tape a flashlight up front to go for a ride! but not really...

If the diode was replaced and the headlight relay was not bypassed the headlight will not come on. The best solution would be to make sure you have a good diode as otherwise if the headlight comes on with the key you have that extra load when trying to start it.

IIRC the diode is still available from Yamaha but can be easily cobbled together from any good electronics store.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

headlight no power

I just tried the relay bypass ..still nothing.the diode is not necessary when the rlu is by passed why no power then,when everything else works?
      Is there a way to just directly wire the head light off the fuse box somewheres or something to be able to toggle switch or something? yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeee. frustrated! please help

Comment

on my bike, I had some goon do work on it, rather than trace the headlight gremlins down he did one of the wire splice clips from a "keyed" wire (it was brown if that helps any) to the green wire from the headlight. That turned the headlight on immediately when the key was turned on. I've dug into my harness to fix it correctly, I've removed the RLU and gotten the only 12V diode that my local radio shack carries since my local yamarobber is closed sundays and mondays. If it all works I'll post the radio shack part number and relevant info.
        1980 XS11SG
        Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
        Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
        ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

check your headlight reverce box under the tank

XSively
          Bruce
          Bruce Gerken
          '79 XS1100SF
          "The Black"
          '2009 BMW k1300GT'
          The Red Sled.
          St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

I don't think the 79's had a diode to the latching relay...
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Maybeeeee your headlamp is fried??
              '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
              Original except:
              120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
              4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
              Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
              All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
              Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Sorry split post-- Did you recheck the lamp to see that something on your bike has not fried it. Not up to snuff on these systems but I have had an altenator fry both mine on a four wheeler. Check with meter and confirm. Best I can offer right now.
                '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                Original except:
                120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Working...
                X