seat getting real hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seat getting real hot

I am on my trip from central Minnesota to Salt Lake City, Utah and am in Utah now. The ride has been great except that the seat on my bike gets really hot. I can ride about an hour in 90 deg heat then have to stop for a break to let it and my butt cool off. Any one thought of a way to force air under the seat bucket to help this. Seems like it is traping heat from the engine.

Deny
    1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
    1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

In the hot seat!?

Hey DenyP,

The seat has rubber bumpers that space it away from the frame, the intake snorkel also is under there, so air does flow around there. But I don't recall, do you have a fairing? The engine heat will defiinitely flow backwards, and a fairing can keep air from getting under the tank, seat area as much. You could try pushing your legs apart when riding to try to grab more air and divert it around the seat. Otherwise, might need to get a set of those BEAD things to sit on on the seat that may help provide some ventillation and cooling!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

On my recent ride to/from Idaho I found the seat area getting hot too. I would stand-up on the pegs for a few seconds (try doing that with forward controls) and both surfaces would cool right down.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

It's not the heat from your seat that is the problem it is the heat from your body that is trapped in your crouch area, by the vinyl seat cover, try setting on a towel or a slip on sheep skin pad or cover , or you can try a pair of bicycle shorts. You can also stop by a WalMart and pickup a roll of those white terry cloth shop towels and lay one over the seat when you park in the sun they will reflect a lot of heat and help keep the seat cooler.
        Fastmover
        "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
        lion". SHL
        78 XS1100e

Comment

I seem to remember a story somewhere about a guy whose seat was grounding to the battery. . . I doubt it's your problem but you could always check *shrug*
          1980 XS11SG
          Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
          Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
          ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

I do have a Vetter fairing. I pulled my seat off after starting this string to see If anything stood out. I have added a Saddleman King/Queen as my old seat covering and padding was shot. I didn't dress down the cover tight to the pan leaving some covering streached out accrost the front of the pan. Looks like it would block air flow. I picked up some 3M Super Weatherstrip adhesive, releaved some of the streached material with a couple of cuts and glued it all down tight to the pan. We will have to see how much this helps.
            I have tried spreading my legs appart and also standing on the pegs. Seems to help the butt. The seat seems to stay hot. I do have a pad with sheep skin. It's not a gell pad but simular to it. It was pricy, but made a major differance with iron butt fategue.
            I am starting the return trip tomarrow. Wish me luck.

Deny

Comment

If you have done all that and it's still a problem, what you have is probably Monkey Butt, a common problem for long distance riders and it is a medical problem, kind of like saddle sores, not something wrong with the bike, and there are creams for it. check at a bike shop. No! this is not a cruel joke, check it out.
              Fastmover
              lion". SHL
              78 XS1100e

Comment

I have the problem only when it is really hot out. The last leg of my trip was from Laramme WY to SLC a little over 400 miles. It was a little cooler and lots of cross wind. I will keep the cream sugguestion in the back of my mind.

Thanx

Deny

Comment

heat

you could try glueing some aluminum foil to the bottom of seat pan with the shiny side towards the frame it should reflect heat away from pan. just a idea i have not tried it but often wondered if it may help on my dirt bike if you try it let me know how it does.
                  79 xs 1100 spec & 80 xs 1100 g

Comment

Hot Butt

Iron Pony sells Monkey Butt Powder, that's supposed to help with that. Creams would probably make it worse by sealing your pores and not allowing your skin to breathe.
                    1980G Standard, Restored
                    Kerker 4 - 1
                    850 Rear End Mod
                    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                    Automatic CCT
                    1980GH Special, Restored
                    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Cobra! You are probably right, I was just remembering something I read in a magazine, about someone coming out with a cream that one of the testers was using. You could probably use any unscented powder like plain old corn starch, just to name one, with the same results and less money.
                      Fastmover
                      lion". SHL
                      78 XS1100e

Comment

I recently found & bought some shirts & shorts for hot weather riding from Wal-Mart that are white, mesh. They're tight fitting and lightweight... and boy do they breathe! $10 ea. I like 'em, especially in the "seat area".
                        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I don't know where the main fuse is on the XS, but the XJ's is right under the seat on the left side. I was having this problem, and it ended up being a bad connection at this point that was actually getting so hot it was melting the wires. I could feel this through my PLASTIC seat pan. I would imagine the metal pan would be even worse.

I know it's a PITA to pull the seat, but when it's getting hot feeling, you should probably check with it running to see if it's you, or the bike that is "Hot stuff".

Tod
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by wa407mpp View Post
                            If you have done all that and it's still a problem, what you have is probably Monkey Butt, a common problem for long distance riders and it is a medical problem, kind of like saddle sores, not something wrong with the bike, and there are creams for it. check at a bike shop. No! this is not a cruel joke, check it out.
                            HI wa407,
                            Monkey Butt eh? I'll have to look that one up. I do remember many years ago a friend getting a cyst on his tailbone that the doctor called "Jeep Bum" so "Monkey Butt" is perhaps a similar condition?
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Look at the backend of a Baboon and you will see where it got it's name.
                              Fastmover
                              lion". SHL
                              78 XS1100e

Comment

Working...
                              X