No announcement yet.

trouble getting xj to turn over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have located the problem that's great however that emergency kill switch if it's not used routinely will develop a resistance and eventually cause you grief.

I would suggest that you give that switch a good cleaning to avoid any future potential probs........just a thought.
    "ride to be visible but pretend you're invisible"
    84xj1100
    82xj1100

Comment

thanks for the thought, i guess you mean the rocker switch on the right handlebars. re the starter switch, i think it makes sense to bypass it with one or two switches because it seems like a weak system to begin with.

re resistance, I noticed the main power wire that goes off the positive battery wire gets warm when the bike is on. I think that means resistance which cant be good and think it probably should have a heavier wire.
      jim
      82 XJ 1100
      98 Magna
      past bikes
      ST1100
      92 Harley FXR built
      85 XJ 700 (2)
      86 XJ 700X

Comment

re resistance, I noticed the main power wire that goes off the positive battery wire gets warm when the bike is on. I think that means resistance which cant be good and think it probably should have a heavier wire.
        That can also be from resistance at a connector. The ignition switch and connector is one place that likes to go, as well as the ground connections. I usually clean and grease ALL my connections. I use dielectric grease on the power connectors, and anti-seize on all ground connections. The anti-seize is conductive, and the dielectric grease is not.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Redhead

Originally posted by trbig View Post
          No problem. Us XJ owners are the redheaded step-kids of the group.

We want to be included.. but we're just.. you know... different!

Tod
          Hey .I resemble that remark ...
          XJ1100K
          Avon rubber
          MikesXS black coils
          Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
          MikesXS front master
          Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
          Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
          Progressive fork springs
          CIBIE headlight reflector
          YICS Eliminator