Swapping out a motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping out a motor

I'm pulling a motor....I've got everything disconnected....wires, cables, frame bolts.

Where do I disconnect the drive shaft and how? Do I disconnect where it bolts to the rear wheel, or at the rubber boot below the air cleaner/battery?

Also, will the motor from a 1981 H fit in the frame of a 1980 G?
    Peter

'80 XS1100 SG (fixing)
    '80 XS1100 G (runs)
    '81 XS1100 H (parts bike)

Engine swap

There are 4 bolts in the rubber boot in the back of the trans 12mm ratchet wrench works great.

Comment

Swap

12mm works fine once you break them loose they should be able to turn by fingers. Oh be careful when pull motor not to have the flange get stuck in the rubber boot because it will rip(cut right through boot).

Comment

Thanks!

Any idea if there will be any problems putting the motor from a 1981 "H" into a 1980 SG?
        Peter

'80 XS1100 SG (fixing)
        '80 XS1100 G (runs)

Comment

From what I've read they are all the same. Subtle differences in the carbs and timing advance but not the mounts.
          RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

That motor will swap out directly. Even the XJ motor will swap straight into the XS.

The 81 models have no mech advance of the timing though, it is built into the TCI. So if you put an 81 motor in an 80 bike, you either need to replace the TCI to work with the 81 timing setup (very expensive TCI and somewhat hard to find) or you need to pull the timing setup from the 80 engine and swap it into the 81 engine.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Thanks for the information. Question....what is the TCI?
              Peter

'80 XS1100 SG (fixing)
              '80 XS1100 G (runs)

Comment

Originally posted by PMG58501 View Post
                Thanks for the information. Question....what is the TCI?
                Black box, ignition box, magic box , thing that controls the ignition.....
                Transistor Controlled Ignition box! They are different, as has been stated on the 81..the 4RO series, vs. the 78-80 2H7 series.

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I have a complete 81 XS1100.....can I simply take the TCI box off the 81 and replace the TCI on the 1980?
                  Peter

'80 XS1100 SG (fixing)
                  '80 XS1100 G (runs)

Comment

That would solve the ignition issue. I've never done it so I do not know what the connectors lok like and if they will be a direct swap out.

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

The swap is plug and play
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Recommend a Good Mechanic?

Guys.....thanks again for the information and advise.

I'm grateful I came across this site and all the XS folks out there.
                        I feel like I might actually get this great bike I've owned since 1982 and which took me from North Dakota to San Diego after graduating from college might see another day.

Another question...the motor I'm pulling ('80 XS110 SG) died 20 years ago.
                        I started it up in the spring (20 yrs ago), was letting is warm up, heard two snapping metal sounds, the engine started missing and began dripping oil out of the right side of the engine.

I parked the bike and thought one of these days soon I'll have the money to have someone look at it. Well, babies, water heaters, car transmissions, braces for the now growing kids, and on and on. So for the last 20 years it has been parked in the shed.

My question, once I've got the motor out, can anyone out there recommend a mechanic in the St. Paul/Mpls. area who could go through the motor and what I should expect to pay?

I hate to say this, but I wouldn't trust my local Yamaha dealer to change the oil or check the tire air pressure on a new bike much less a vintage bike.

Thanks for reading my too long note. I'd appreciate any advise you all might have!
                        Peter

'80 XS1100 SG (fixing)
                        '80 XS1100 G (runs)

Comment

Best advice....

would be to tear into it yourself. I would think anyone who might be professional would charge you more than it would cost to buy a used engine that was in decent condition.

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Does the presence of the ballast resistor affect the 81 being plug and play on an earlier frame?
                            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I have to agree with DGSXER on this one for sure. I thought I'd found a trustworthy mechanic to get "Goose" road ready but unfortunately I was horribly wrong. I won't be taking it back to him or any other mechanic ever again. I'll do any work that needs to be done, myself. If I can't learn it from reading it here on the boards, I'll call someone who can help or take it to someone's house.

Personally, I was very intimidated with pulling the engine apart to see what was wrong with it, but believe me, if I can do it you can too. Go get some wrenches, get out your manual for the bike and tear into it. If you have questions, post them up here and you'll get an answer.
                              If you don't own a fire extinguisher, do me a personal favor and go purchase one... immediately.

1980 MNS

Comment

Working...
                              X